Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spag199th View Post
I have a real nice original 1903A4 but don't have any idea on what you guy's are talking about when it comes to posting pics. On the other forums I just go into my pc browser and up-load pics? Can't do that here? I'm old school and have a older 4s I phone. Just use it to make calls. Does take good pics with the right light an settings and good setup! I was in Nam in 1967-68 so that tells you my age! LOL

Sal
On those other forums, when you upload pics you are loading them to the servers owned/rented by that forum. Photos take an enormous amount of storage compared to text.
CMP provides a free forum, and like many forums, does not host the photos. As a result, they don't have to purchase/rent the storage required (help me out my IT friends, would be it be 10 times more storage, 100 times more than just the text alone?). Like the other many forums what don't host pictures you post them by, instead of a 1 step process (uploading form your computer), a 2-step process:
1. Upload from your computer to a picture hosting site (plenty of free ones, and plenty of threads here and everywhere to help you choose. Don't use photobucket).
2, Insert a link to the photo into your CMP post.
Is it less convenient? Of course. But once you learn how, you have:
1. Learned something new.
2. Established a photo hosting site which you may use for all sorts of other purposes.
3. Shared your photos with your CMP friends without requiring the CMP to pay for you doing so.
Photo storage for forums is expensive. You pay for it, either by a membership fee or pop up ads. CMP chose this method, like some other forums.
It took me a few tries. But I followed the directions in Post #1 in this thread and it worked.

If any of you tell me what specifically is not working I'll try to help.
But, you must setup a photo hosting site, post some pictures there, and be able to find the link to share that photo first.
Each photo hosting site does this different, but can tell you how to get to that point.

JH
Old 04-02-2018, 01:22 PM

Just tried to post photo in thread on " show us your reloading benches " in Ask Each Other section. I have never been able to get an image to post. The picture is on a google photo site and I have my User CP setting to accept images. I try the Image [IMG] link and it never works. I end up inserting a Link of the photo? My brain must be internet ignorant.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:27 PM

very late to this concept. I don't have any account set up with any hosting site. I am older than my IHC Garand so there is that. But I am willing to give it a try.

Here is my question. Although several hosting sites were referenced in the now long ago original post, what is the consensus for the current best photo hosting site for use on this forum? I will pick that one.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-06-2018, 06:22 PM

Question about size. I use imagur as a hosting site and on all the other gun forums I visit they are normal size when posted but when posted here they are beyond huge. I have to move the horizontal and vertical bar for a few seconds just to see the whole picture. Any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazaroo View Post
Question about size. I use imagur as a hosting site and on all the other gun forums I visit they are normal size when posted but when posted here they are beyond huge. I have to move the horizontal and vertical bar for a few seconds just to see the whole picture. Any thoughts?
Yep, I like imagur also.

Just before you copy the link for a picture, click on Large Thumbnail, on the right bottom of the page. That will size fine for the CMP forum.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 04-08-2018, 11:26 AM

ZvenoMan,

What hosting site do you recommend? I follow your refinishing threads with real interest and want to post a photo re refinishing. I am overwhelmed with info on the sites. I do have some private photos on Google Pictures but that does not seem to be in use here.

Thanks for all the value you add to this site.

Mike
Old 04-14-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcySwan View Post
ZvenoMan,

What hosting site do you recommend? I follow your refinishing threads with real interest and want to post a photo re refinishing. I am overwhelmed with info on the sites. I do have some private photos on Google Pictures but that does not seem to be in use here.

Thanks for all the value you add to this site.

Mike
I use Flickr. Free and plenty of space. I have not tried any other services but some may be easier to use?
I know imagur is popular. Photobuck is NOT popular anymore.

I "think" apple, MS onedrive and google have the ability to share your photos by posting here but I haven't tried them either.

Thanks for the compliment.
JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 04-14-2018 at 12:08 PM.