Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 PM

Default Want to shoot at as issued m1 Match

Me and son want to go to the as Issued in m1 match we new at this so how do I go about registering
Old 05-08-2018, 07:23 AM

Default As-Issued M1 Match

dfxww2,

The first thing you should consider in regard to shooting an As-Issued M1 Match is trying to find a local M1 clinic or match to participate in before you venture to Perry.

This is not to deter you from going to Perry and experiencing that venue and shooting at the National Matches, in my opinion, it will be more fun if you have an idea of what to do and expect before going to Perry.

Some, not all of the shooters at Perry consider uneducated new shooters as FOD.

A local clinic or match will provide you with the necessary experience to be able to show up to the Nationals and fire your M1 safely and to have a basic understanding of what is expected of the competitor.

A clinic will cover equipment, loading, positions, firing, unloading, safety and basic marksmanship that should put you on paper at 200 yards. It will cover target pulling and scoring and some shooter etiquette. Overall it will provide you and your son with a basic understanding of the M1 Garand, how to handle and fire it safely and place rounds on target. All this education will allow you, the shooter, to shoot the match without worrying about the minutia while not causing major distraction on the firing line at the National Matches.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:34 AM

I want thank you for the response of how do I goes round get into the clinic
Old 05-08-2018, 07:49 AM

The CMP website has links to hel you with your search.

You can find a CMP affiliated club here:

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch
Many clubs are schools and youth oriented in KY but itís a good start.

There is also a listing of CMP clinics and matches here:

https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...r_value=CLINIC

I donít know if itís a requirement for clubs to do a CMP clinic every year but most clubs seem to do one a year so if you find a local club call and ask if they do clinics. Around me in PA most clinics are early in the season (April/May).

I just did a clinic last month even though I used to compete in NRA Matches regularly in the 90s and itís a great way to get the basics as the rules are complicated. If you canít find a clinic, you can still shoot! Bring an AR, AK, SKS, M1 Garand or Carbine, M1A or even an old Military Bolt Gun!

Good Luck and it is worth the time to find a match.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I saw that your son recently purchased a couple Garands at the North Store. Not to be critical but have you shot the Garand yet, have ammo, clips, a sling?
As has been said most clinics are early in the year and might not find one local now.
If you would like to try a match there is one in Southern Indiana on May 20...
http://sirapc.com/2017-garand-matches/
I suggest you give them a call before the match and let them know this would be your first match and if they have someone to coach you either before or during the match.
Another suggestion is to look on You Tube for anything on Garand matches or clinic so you have some kind of understanding of how they work.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 05-09-2018, 05:13 AM

I would go ahead and register for the national matches so you can get a spot. But as said before you should really get your feet wet before so to speak. The Nationals is a HUGE event and can be overwhelming to some first time out.

One thing that did not get asked what is your and sons experience with shooting in competitions? I think most assumed you were new to the sport ? what equipment do you have...

There are a lot of things that you will need to compete in the match

And I assume you are referring to the John C Garand match?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Try SAFS

Camp Perry Schedule.

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...pdf?ver=180215

Online entry form for rifle:
https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.p...it&match=16353

Small Arms Firing School (SAFS) is July 27 - 28th, which is before the Aug 4th Garand only match. SAFS uses school provided AR15 rifles, but will teach you the basics before you try and do a match with your own gear.

As others have mentioned, Camp Perry National Matches are kind of a big deal. If you haven't shot a match before, showing up cold to the Garand match would be a steep learning curve, probably a mess for you and for the fellow competitors. But SAFS is meant to help novices get involved.

So if you are set on doing a Camp Perry Garand match, follow the suggestions about finding local CMP style matches first. My addition is, if time allows, do a SAFS, and then do the Aug 4th match.

Disclaimer. I have done a local Garand match, have shot my own "practice" matches, and have taken a Camp Perry SAFS, but have not done a match at Camp Perry yet. I am signed up for both a SAFS class and a match this year.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:54 AM

Default Garand matches in KY

Good morning. If you want to come to our matches, we shoot at the Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club near Borden, IN. We have CMP matches almost every month, Our next match is scheduled for June 16. We will be shooting the Sniper match and the As issued match. See it all at one time. Contact me for more information. DennyMac Southern Indiana Rifle & Pistol Club
Old 05-22-2018, 08:33 PM

I would highly recommend attending the Small Arms Firing School the first time you go to Camp Perry whether you attend the Garand match or not. You will not only learn very important marksmanship skills that will help you shoot and enjoy the Garand match better, But more importantly you will learn the match procedures and etiquette which will allow you to focus more on the actually match than figuring out what you need to do either behind the ready line or in the pits.
DPS 4/30