Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 AM

Default Gas plug rule

As surplus ammunition has just about dried up and from what I understand there are no more large foreign stock (or domestic ones) that are expected to be found, is it time for the CMP to reconsider the rule against adjustable or ported gas plugs that allow the use of a wider range of ammunition?

Thanks,
John
Old 06-08-2018, 06:17 AM

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigelf View Post
As surplus ammunition has just about dried up and from what I understand there are no more large foreign stock (or domestic ones) that are expected to be found, is it time for the CMP to reconsider the rule against adjustable or ported gas plugs that allow the use of a wider range of ammunition?

Thanks,
John
Nope.....just use 'Garand approved' commercial ammo
Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 AM

Which is very few choices, and 2 of them are imports. As I understand it, the original intent was to force the use of M2 ball "service ammo". With the decreasing availability, more people are reloading and while the pressure specs are the same that's about it. So it would seem to be a rule that limits the ability of people to play without achieving anything.

(PS. I reload)

John
Old 06-08-2018, 07:21 AM

The rule is "as issued". If you start with the GC lock screw "plug", where do you stop? There were claims of enhanced accuracy with the adjustable plugs. Allowing non standard parts often opens a can of worms. The claims of op rod damage are greatly overstated and any risk can be easily avoided by following simple guidelines. I doubt that there has been any effort or intent to force use of M2 spec ammo for many years. Handloads offer many advantages in accuracy, economy, lowered recoil and wear. CMP and NRA have not discouraged their use. My own opinion is that anyone seriously engaged in shooting centerfire rifles should be handloading---which should negate any risk of damaging your rifle. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 06-08-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:52 PM

While I agree with what ceresco says, "as-issued" is subject to interpretation. Kinda like "stock" and "as purchased/supplied" applies to auto racing (spent 34 yrs circumventing those rules)

Why the prohibition against adjustable plugs, when Criterion barrels(definitely never originally issued on any surplus military rifle sold by CMP), NM op rods, lightened triggers, fitted Boyd`s stocks, Wolff spring kits, rear sight apertures altered to NM dims, etc are perfectly acceptable in the rulebook? I`ve sold NM dimension front sights locally that I narrowed up from stock dimensions, that have passed inspection because they weren`t marked NM and nobody measured them.

"As-issued" is somewhat of a misnomer, but a rule we have to abide by.

On the other hand, unless you win, who`s gonna look.

( I reload too, to M2 specs. By accident, I discovered a load for my Garand that got me into a silver at Butner, but after I got home and started to look for it online again, I discovered that those with more knowledge than I deem the powder as a death sentence to my op rod. I wish they`d ok the adjustable plug!)

Last edited by ERE99; 06-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
The rule is "as issued". If you start with the GC lock screw "plug", where do you stop? There were claims of enhanced accuracy with the adjustable plugs. Allowing non standard parts often opens a can of worms. The claims of op rod damage are greatly overstated and any risk can be easily avoided by following simple guidelines. I doubt that there has been any effort or intent to force use of M2 spec ammo for many years. Handloads offer many advantages in accuracy, economy, lowered recoil and wear. CMP and NRA have not discouraged their use. My own opinion is that anyone seriously engaged in shooting centerfire rifles should be handloading---which should negate any risk of damaging your rifle. Good Shooting. ...
You said a mouth full there! Exactly correct!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:24 PM

By the way guys, your Op Rod may get a little help from proper lubrication, per the US Army Manual, with Grease, Rifle - or equivalent.
Jim Thompson has two books on the M1, and in one he tells of wondering about the old story that a heavier bullet would wreck the rifle. So, to test it, he bought a case of 220 gr. 30-06 BEAR LOADS! He fired over 450 rounds of that 220 grain ammo through a standard, service grade type M1 - properly lubed - without damage or issue. Then, with the last twenty or so, he removed ALL the Grease, re-lubed with gun oil. The rifle seized up, with Damage - in seven rounds.
So, whatever load you use - lube per the manual - and a thin oil is not a good idea. CC
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM

I agree that this rule is fine as it is. The statements about commercial hunting ammo are so exaggerated these days it's not even funny. Yes there is some truth that over time the oprod tab will wear down quickly and the oprod will jump off the track. However, with proper lube, the rifle will work just fine and any commercial rifle load will be just fine for a steady diet in the 150-168 grain range.