Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2018, 06:48 AM

Default 45acp ammo

Just wondering if there is millions of rounds of 45acp sitting in govt warehouses that would have been for issue in these 1911 pistols.
Tom
Old 06-09-2018, 07:59 AM

I went to several training schools back in the 1990's where Military Guard Units were present. Their transition to 9MM was already in place.

One of their Sgt.'s asked me if I had a .45 Automatic with me. I did and he gave me some .45 ACP to shoot up as he was looking to get rid of it. The only thing was that I had to shoot it that day as he had to have the empty shell casings back for inventory purposes.

Some of the other training schools I went to back then were conducted by Military Personnel who were by far some of the best trainers you could want. They took good care of us and when we asked them what we could do for them, they were looking for 9MM for their personal weapons.

Going by these scenarios, I can only guess that these folks, both Active Duty and National Guard, did not have access to much .45 ACP.

Good question though, did it all get shot up, Military Aid packaged to Allies, or like a lot of excess items, demilled and sold off to vendors?
Old 06-09-2018, 07:26 PM

I discussed this in another post. Back when the military went to Beretta, one thing that was done was to de- fund further 45 ammo procurement. While there is still extremely limited use of .45 ( marine raiders come to mind) the gov just doesn’t stock pile ammo like it used to. Back in 08 when I was in Afghanistan one of my fellow officers with SF connections scrounged up a grease gun he wanted to use as a building entry gun. He could not even with his SF connections come up with enough ammo to run it.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:05 PM

I was in during the switch over and I wouldn't say 45 acp was hard to come by, but as each year went along, harder to get 'excess' rounds - such as if we wanted to have extra for training - MP's went to the range at least every 3 months.

In the films I've seen of arms storage, I don't remember them talking about ammo storage. It requires completely different military storage requirements than arms. Although you never know what might show up? I am hoping more for parts, some extra slides would be outstanding - although I'd bet that'd be after a couple iterations of issue of 45's
Old 06-09-2018, 09:57 PM

The last military 45 I've seen was WCC 76 .
Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyjoe View Post
Just wondering if there is millions of rounds of 45acp sitting in govt warehouses that would have been for issue in these 1911 pistols.
Tom
Yes there is.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:30 PM

The later government .45 ACP ammo I've seen was headstamped TZ and TZZ - Israeli Military Industries, Tel Aviv, Israel. I guess we were purchasing it from Israel instead of producing it here.

Lord only knows how much .45 ammo is sitting in warehouses all over the world.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 06-10-2018, 07:27 PM

Gotta kinda go along with ‘sigman2’. Usually ammo was inventoried at least a couple times a year, but sometimes “stuff” gets put aside(!). I’ve got .30/06 that was shuffled between Navy&Marine stock to keep the tally correct! Remember, we’re also talking the government here.

Last edited by jwenum; 06-10-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Added wording
Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman2 View Post

Lord only knows how much .45 ammo is sitting in warehouses all over the world.
My personal experience would seem to indicate that there isn't much. What does exist probably isn't going to be sent to the CMP.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:06 AM

45 is still a caliber the government stocks. I forget the DODIC...

Bill