Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2018, 02:08 AM

Per my limited knowledge.

Pre-WWI
Colt
Springfield Armory

WWI
North American Arms (Canada) - approx. 100 pre-production pistols made.
Rem-Umc
Colt

Colt also produced 1911 & 1911A1 pistols between the wars.

WWII (1911A1)
Singer - 500 made
US&S
Ithaca
Colt
Rem-Rand
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 06-07-2018, 07:51 AM

As you can imagine, there's a lot more to it than just total numbers made by each manufacturer. Or at least there should be.

Sometimes total production matters as in the case of Singers where nice, legit examples can bring six figures because so few were ever made. But other times it just doesn't add up. With USS for example there were 55,000 made and these days they sell for 2-3X as much as Type I Remington Rands which are far rarer. They even sell for more than original WWI Springfields which is crazy. I think that just like the Colt pony drives up prices, so does the USS "rarity" story.

I personally like Ithacas because I can usually find out exactly when and where they were shipped. And I especially like early dulite Ithacas which are hard to come by but fortunately don't have the hype around them that USS does. Ithacas don't get a lot of love for whatever reason.

In the case of these CMP guns, they'll most likely have mismatched slides and frames so a Remington Rand by frame serial number might be wearing a Colt slide, but that doesn't make it a Colt. So manufacturer really shouldn't mean much in the big picture with these. Better to look at overall condition, amount of original USGI parts, shootability, etc.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post

Sometimes total production matters as in the case of Singers where nice, legit examples can bring six figures because so few were ever made. But other times it just doesn't add up. With USS for example there were 55,000 made and these days they sell for 2-3X as much as Type I Remington Rands which are far rarer. They even sell for more than original WWI Springfields which is crazy. I think that just like the Colt pony drives up prices, so does the USS "rarity" story.

Most likely because most collectors don't get that far down into the weeds with it. While there were not as many Type I Remington Rands, there were over 800 thousand Remington Rands built.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
Most likely because most collectors don't get that far down into the weeds with it. While there were not as many Type I Remington Rands, there were over 800 thousand Remington Rands built.
Understood. Just trying to help new collectors get educated and avoid overpaying because of hype or missing out on a deal if they see one. A Type I RR is not the same as a Type III RR from a value standpoint.

Last edited by thebearpack; 06-07-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:13 AM

Some good websites on 1911 variations and especially military. Plus a ton of good books out there.

Rarity doesn't always mean the best. The reason they made very few Singers?
The story on Rem Rand doing so horrible, they stopped production, did a complete overhaul and then made some of the best?

The history is what I love
Old 06-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Default 5 digit 1911

About 1980 I took my reserve SeaBee unit to a small Army range for Small Arms training, when we checked out the .45's I noticed a 5 digit S/N in the batch of 25, no one else noticed it or commented on it. Don't remember any more about it. Just goes to show what might turn up.

Steve
Old 06-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Responding to captron. Original, un-messed with 1911's are still out there. A couple of weeks ago I got one at an auction; Colt, 1918 mfg., serial no. 239,xxx. Waiting for Colt to send letter explaining it's history. Price was more than reasonable!
Old 06-14-2018, 07:03 PM

For all guys out there concerning history of the 1911/1911A1’s. When Scott Gahimer chimes in just soak up his knowledge. ‘Nuff said, one of the premier experts around. How many “hours” have you spent on m1911.org? Just saying.