Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2018, 11:13 AM

Some good websites on 1911 variations and especially military. Plus a ton of good books out there.

Rarity doesn't always mean the best. The reason they made very few Singers?
The story on Rem Rand doing so horrible, they stopped production, did a complete overhaul and then made some of the best?

The history is what I love
Old 06-12-2018, 04:49 PM

Default 5 digit 1911

About 1980 I took my reserve SeaBee unit to a small Army range for Small Arms training, when we checked out the .45's I noticed a 5 digit S/N in the batch of 25, no one else noticed it or commented on it. Don't remember any more about it. Just goes to show what might turn up.

Steve
Old 06-12-2018, 05:49 PM

Responding to captron. Original, un-messed with 1911's are still out there. A couple of weeks ago I got one at an auction; Colt, 1918 mfg., serial no. 239,xxx. Waiting for Colt to send letter explaining it's history. Price was more than reasonable!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:03 PM

For all guys out there concerning history of the 1911/1911A1’s. When Scott Gahimer chimes in just soak up his knowledge. ‘Nuff said, one of the premier experts around. How many “hours” have you spent on m1911.org? Just saying.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron View Post
What about a Colt, 6 digit made in 1919 all original and correct. Albeit, deemed to have been there and done it. But with a nice petenia. Man that thing is soon to be 100 years old!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
My personal suspicion is that anything World War One era is long gone.I doubt after the huge numbers of A1’s made in WW2 the dcm sell offs of the 60’s and the fact many were released even prior to WW2 plus prior to WW2officers could buy guns out of military stock that the military held on to any non A1’s are no longer in inventory. The most common A1’s is Remington Rand so the is most of what you will see along with smaller numbers of colt and Ithaca. If they stumble across union switch and signal or a singer it will be an auction item
Just went thru the AR article again because of the pictures. If you look at the serial numbers on the crates and if coolgunsite is correct, the crate 99BDB1 contains a 1911 and not a 1911A1. Now whether it was modified to A1 specs and how much modification, only time will tell. Did it get the frame modified or did it get just the MSH ( arched and not flat ) changed? It is a Colt 1912 mfg date so already 100 years old.

Last edited by Ohio Don; 11-03-2018 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:54 PM

Cool Clarification

I would like to know if there was ever an official procedure and policy that describes how to "modify" an M1911 frame to that of an M1911A1? Never seen or heard of such an animal till the CMP started dealing with these pistols again. But many people in here talk like it happened all the time.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMech View Post
I would like to know if there was ever an official procedure and policy that describes how to "modify" an M1911 frame to that of an M1911A1? Never seen or heard of such an animal till the CMP started dealing with these pistols again. But many people in here talk like it happened all the time.
That is why it would be nice to see a picture of some of them.
Don't know if this has been seen yet but here is an interesting pdf produced by the National Park Service.https://www.nps.gov/stri/upload/M191...anual_2018.pdf ( Disclaimer: I have worked with the NPS as a volunteer and consultant, but not on firearms )
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 PM

Default Not very specific but............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
That is why it would be nice to see a picture of some of them.
Don't know if this has been seen yet but here is an interesting pdf produced by the National Park Service.https://www.nps.gov/stri/upload/M191...anual_2018.pdf ( Disclaimer: I have worked with the NPS as a volunteer and consultant, but not on firearms )
The information describes the A1 "modifications/improvements" but, I do not think any machine work was adopted as an official modification to the M1911 frame which made it an M1911A1 frame.

I believe all the real (machine work )changes happened on new production
only and not on existing stocks of M1911s.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMech View Post
The information describes the A1 "modifications/improvements" but, I do not think any machine work was adopted as an official modification to the M1911 frame which made it an M1911A1 frame.

I believe all the real (machine work )changes happened on new production
only and not on existing stocks of M1911s.
Don't know for sure so that is why I posted the link showing the differences. And the inspection list that the NPS says to use if you are a NPS person. The change to the frame to add the cuts for clearance to the trigger actually would not take much time once you setup a jig to hold the frame. Very simple to change out the MSH as I've done a number of them. If the firearm is in for rebuild, the frame mod should take less than 10 minutes per side. If it were done, it most likely would have happened in the 1925 to 1939 time period. From 1939 on they would have just worried about having enough that were usable as fast as possible. They then had the 1946 to 1950 period to also do it to them where they were not in a hurry to get things usable. That is why the pistol in that crate needs photographed. It is not one from the museum system but just one that was stored after refurb. For those who have not seen the number, it is 16743 and the 21st one in the crate list.

And CMP1911Admin, I claim dibs on it as it could have been carried by my uncle or grandfather in WW 1.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:38 AM

Another interesting link showing the M45A1s being fired. https://taskandpurpose.com/1911-pist...erican-troops/ Just about 2 years ago for the pictures and a year ago for the article.