Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 PM

The 1940 edition of the FM 23-25 link provided by DDRode says to lubricate with sperm whale oil. The modern equivalent is Dextron automatic transmission fluid.

(Sperm whale oil was used in early automatic transmissions)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMPCF50 View Post
The 1940 edition of the FM 23-25 link provided by DDRode says to lubricate with sperm whale oil. The modern equivalent is Dextron automatic transmission fluid.

(Sperm whale oil was used in early automatic transmissions)
In 1940, they used non-detergent motor oils, too. I wouldn't recommend that today. Lubricants have improved substantially in the last 78 years.

As a sidenote, I've come across M1911A1's with up to 0.007" clearance between the barrel OD and the bushing ID. That tells me that over the years there has been a lot of wear on that interface. Better lubrication likely would have reduced the wear.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:51 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll probably continue to clean and lubricate using the same oils as with all my other guns but it's interesting to know what the original procedures were.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:31 PM

I use synthetic engine oil on my Government model while a friend of mine uses grease on the slide of his Ruger lightweight Commander. Both pistols have performed flawlessly so I guess each of us is using what works for us.
The only noticeable difference is the oil on mine migrates into the microfiber cloth in my case, requiring an application of a couple drops of oil before I go to the range, while his always retains the thin grease film.

Dave
Old 06-12-2018, 08:40 PM

Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil on all my firearms. Available everywhere and Im on the same quart for like 2 years now, with a lot still left. Seems to be an easier cleanup , when the guns are dirty.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:16 AM

Lucas Extreme Duty Gun oil works great a little goes a long way.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM

Gentlemen, Here are a couple of principals that one needs to understand. A small arm may function without issue but if there is an inadequate lubrication film thickness between moving parts, excess wear can occur. Excess wear doesn't necessarily result in malfunctions but it sure can result in degraded accuracy especially when we are talking about barrel to bushing clearances and slide to frame clearances. There is a reason why match pistols have tight fits on these interfaces. Secondly, a low viscocity lubricant tends to migrate. It doesn't stay where it was applied. That can result in a fairly dry interface after a period of storage or inactivity. On the other hand, a very high viscosity lubricant can create sluggish performance under very cold conditions. Synthetic lubricants have a much better vsicocity vs temperature relationship so they tend to perform better when temperature extremes are encountered.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:26 PM

Glam is right on. These guns won’t need to be run “wet” while breaking in. They’re already “broken in” I’m sure. Just do a good inspection (if!) you get one. Even a “loose goose” frame to slide fit may shoot surprisingly well. Personally, I go for grease on frame rails & oil everywhere else.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM

When shooting the .45 on the range while in the military I don't recall ever using any type of lube on them. Even in the mid 1950's these .45's we had were well used and loose. Did rub them down after use with oily rag and swab out bores, but that's about it as best I recall.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:32 PM

Super lube synthetic grease .
Slide,barrel bushing,barrel radial lugs and lower feet and ss.
To reduce ware on range pistols/target pistols.
Not my choise for a carry pistol in the cold though.