Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Could lack of grease or cleaning be an accelerant? Tolerance in pin hole placement?
I don't recall numbers on the the surface hardening of different brand triggers.

Dad's RRA trigger has probably at least 40,000 cycles over 7 years and no sign of abnormal sear wear. The rifle gets wiped down after every firing session, including lower receiver, and greased every so often.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-13-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
Could lack of grease or cleaning be an accelerant? Tolerance in pin hole placement?
I don't recall numbers on the the surface hardening of different brand triggers.

Dad's RRA trigger has probably at least 40,000 cycles over 7 years and no sign of abnormal sear wear. The rifle gets wiped down after every firing session, including lower receiver, and greased every so often.
I was told (so take it with a grain of salt) that the Geissele triggers were made of tooling steel and that the RRA's were not. The RRA were good triggers but would not hold up up to as many cycles as the Geissele triggers. I don't know. Between matches, practice, and dry firing I put a LOT of cycles on my triggers.

I did have a Geissele trigger hammer snap in half once. Luckily it was during a dry firing sessions and not a match. They sent me out a new one immediately.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
Could lack of grease or cleaning be an accelerant? Tolerance in pin hole placement?I don't recall numbers on the the surface hardening of different brand triggers.
Jezzzzz, 40K eh? Why do we not worry about barrel life...how many barrels will a Rock River Trigger Group Out Last? Answer..probably more than 4 barrels.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
Jezzzzz, 40K eh? Why do we not worry about barrel life...how many barrels will a Rock River Trigger Group Out Last? Answer..probably more than 4 barrels.
About two barrels with dry firing. We go through a few triggers with the junior program.

If you actually shoot these matches, the last thing you want is a failure to make weight at Camp Perry. Yes we weight in days before the big match days but it's not something you want to have to worry about or figure out where the breaking point.

At a smaller match where you're weighing in minutes before heading down range, it can ruin your whole day.

Last edited by wckz45; 06-13-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post

Cycles. He's only fired <5000 rounds, but figure at least 10 dry fires for every wet fire.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-Sierra View Post
I have a RRA 2-stage in my match rifle. I actually like it better than my Geissele triggers. BUT....it won't make the 4.5# for SR. It will make the 3.5# for match rifle though.

Keith
Just put a very small bend in the hammer spring legs increasing the tension and it will correct the low trigger pull. My RRA NM trigger was under 4.5# right out of the bag. A slight bend and it has remained just under 5# since. Failure to reset is often caused byva burr that can develop. I had one that wouldn't right out of the bag. A tiny but of work with a stone and it was good to go. That one has about 10K rounds to it's credit varmint hunting.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:07 PM

Last EIC match I shot, my RR NM trigger did not make weight. I was surprised by that as I have only used it a little bit for only two years or so. One of the CMP armorers took it in the trailer and bent the spring a bit so it would make weight. He fixed it within minutes. Very nice of him to do. Thankfully they weren't too busy at the time.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Dry firing and there is only one brand of trigger that shows weight loss by endlessly dry firing all winter in prep for match season?

I get it...train with your gear but I don't believe for a minute other brands of triggers that get dry fired to death don't have issues at weight check before a match.

anyhow...others have said a tweek to spring and you are back in business. Maybe a weight pull gauge is the best investment and tweek your trigger springs before weight check ?