Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2018, 06:19 PM

Default Greetings from Floyd Co, Indiana

Glad to be a part of the group. Not exactly new to M1 Garands, but haven't owned on since 2003. Got one on the way in a day or so.

Clark
Old 06-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Welcome from Florida!

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Old 06-11-2018, 07:28 PM

Welcome aboard.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:07 PM

Default "second garand!"

Dear All,

I bought my first Garand after leaving the ARMY in 1984. I didn't keep it very long, beacause I traded it for something that I wanted at the time. I always regretted getting rid of it however, and knew that I would one day find another. After years of buying just about one of everything else... I finally got around to ordering another Garand, and I can't wait to receive it. My issued Rifle was of course the M-16, but being a historian... I have always wanted to own another Garand.

My father passed away in December of 1984, but I did have the opportunity to show him my first Garand. He was a World War II veteran, and you could see the emotion upon his face as he sat in his favorite chair holding and looking at that Rifle.

We are truly blessed to be the guardians of such virtual pieces of history!

God Bless...

Bill
Old 06-12-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill View Post
Dear All,

I bought my first Garand after leaving the ARMY in 1984. I didn't keep it very long, beacause I traded it for something that I wanted at the time. I always regretted getting rid of it however, and knew that I would one day find another. After years of buying just about one of everything else... I finally got around to ordering another Garand, and I can't wait to receive it. My issued Rifle was of course the M-16, but being a historian... I have always wanted to own another Garand.

My father passed away in December of 1984, but I did have the opportunity to show him my first Garand. He was a World War II veteran, and you could see the emotion upon his face as he sat in his favorite chair holding and looking at that Rifle.

We are truly blessed to be the guardians of such virtual pieces of history!

God Bless...

Bill
My story is similar to yours, only I sold mine to help settle legal fees associated with marrying the wrong woman. Bought one of the blue sky imports about a year after I got out of the Marines in 1991, and kept it until 2003. I too showed it to the man that practically raised me, WW2 Pacific theater vet, Philippines and Okinawa, he sat there the whole 3 hours holding it with the biggest smile I ever saw on his face. I sure miss that man.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:07 AM

Welcome to the forum ,hope you enjoy all the good info!
Old 06-14-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark B View Post
My story is similar to yours, only I sold mine to help settle legal fees associated with marrying the wrong woman. Bought one of the blue sky imports about a year after I got out of the Marines in 1991, and kept it until 2003. I too showed it to the man that practically raised me, WW2 Pacific theater vet, Philippines and Okinawa, he sat there the whole 3 hours holding it with the biggest smile I ever saw on his face. I sure miss that man.
Oddly, Our stories are more similar than you know! I married the wrong one as well after I got out of the ARMY in the early 1980's. My E-Wife's Father "Said" that he was in the Marines Corps for two years, and had always wanted an M-1 (He would ask for anything, including money). He constantly bothered me to give him my M-1, so I traded it, and told him that it malfunctioned so much that it was not worth keeping!

At least my father got to hold an M-1 again before he passed away! My father never liked pistols, but he once while I was home on leave... shot my personal 1911 Colt: I bought my own 1911 as soon as I came home from Military Police Basic.

It seemed that Path Finders qualified with the 1911A1 as well. Truman dropping those bombs not only saved my fathers's life, but mine as well!

God Bless...

Bill
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM

Greetings from Chesterton
Old 07-21-2018, 07:32 PM

The So. IN R & P Club has Garand Matches periodically, and there is a great group of fellows that shoot there.
Should be just up the road from you.
WMC.