Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM

I asked CMP customer service about expired US passports for use as proof of citizenship. Here is their response. The "a copy will be fine" refers to a state issued birth certificate.

"Sir,

A copy will be fine and we can also accept an expired passport.

Thank you,

CMP Customer Service
custserve@thecmp.org
256-835-8455
Old 06-14-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
I am not sure you could use an expired license to purchase a firearm in a store.
You can't. At least I couldn't about five years ago when I tried and discovered that my DL had expired.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 AM

Just got mine renewed recently, did not take long at all. Wife and I go on cruises so it is a must. Passport is a must have on cruiseboats.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:

I am not sure you could use an expired license to purchase a firearm in a store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid86 View Post
You can't. At least I couldn't about five years ago when I tried and discovered that my DL had expired.
Proof of citizenship isn't a requirement to buy in a store either. The proof of citizenship requirement is to be eligible to purchase from the CMP and I guess they can set their own standards to what the proof is.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Here is the problem I have. CMP1911admin has taken on the role of spokesperson for CMP1911 and we count on a correct response. If this person is unsure of a correct answer, then don't be so quick to respond till you know for sure. Had we followed this persons advice and mailed in an expired passport , would we have been denied the proof of citizenship as per Mark Johnson's posting and our paperwork is tossed in the trash? Since CMP1911 requires our paperwork to be completed correctly for acceptance we need correct answers, as has been stated they will not contact you to correct our errors.
It appears we all need this three month gap so EVERYONE gets their ducks in a row.
Shomway, thanks for a well-worded and relevant input. I share your concerns.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
The response from CMP1911 was 100% correct, as far as it went.

The question “Do you have a [INSERT DOCUMENT]?” implicitly means a current document. When the Trooper asks you for your license and registration, he isn’t asking for an expired license and last year’s registration.

The US Government does not accept expired documents as proof of identity or citizenship. The reason is obvious WRT citizenship - you could have changed your citizenship, which would invalidate the passport (unless dual citizenship).

So while it would have been better for CMP1911 to answer both questions, he did answer the first - “Is a passport acceptable?”

“Life is Good!”
And here I was hoping for relevant input. Oh well, maybe if I ever get pulled over by the law-----. I asked exactly one question and one question only in my original post---specifically about the acceptability of an EXPIRED passport. And it's quite true that I neglected to put a question mark at the end of it, but the dead giveaway is that it starts off with "Does it---" By simple math, since I only asked one question, I thought it reasonable to infer that 1911admin's answer was aimed at that question. Thank you for pointing out my apparent misconception about that.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester19 View Post
And here I was hoping for relevant input. Oh well, maybe if I ever get pulled over by the law-----. I asked exactly one question and one question only in my original post---specifically about the acceptability of an EXPIRED passport. And it's quite true that I neglected to put a question mark at the end of it, but the dead giveaway is that it starts off with "Does it---" By simple math, since I only asked one question, I thought it reasonable to infer that 1911admin's answer was aimed at that question. Thank you for pointing out my apparent misconception about that.
Pah-donn moi!

"Life is Good!"
Old 06-15-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdomingue View Post
Proof of citizenship isn't a requirement to buy in a store either. The proof of citizenship requirement is to be eligible to purchase from the CMP and I guess they can set their own standards to what the proof is.

Yep and for things like this a good ole birth certificate works just fine. No worries with expired documents. I keep copies on hand for things like this and they are cheap.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:18 AM

Arrow Expired passport

Ok, lets clear use of expired passports up: YOU CAN USE AN EXPIRED PASSPORT for proof of Citizenship. I just discussed this with the COO and GM and it is approved. This had been discussed with the GM and the sales team but the COO was not aware of this decision and he had not informed us of what he had posted earlier. There was a disconnect but it has been rectified. So to be perfectly clear : YOU CAN USE AN EXPIRED U.S. PASSPORT FOR PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP. With that said the passport must not be one used when you were 10 years old or a minor and now you are 60 years old.

Proof of Citizenship is a requirement set forth by the Army/Gov't not CMP.
I hope this clears the matter up.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp1911admin View Post
Ok, lets clear use of expired passports up: YOU CAN USE AN EXPIRED PASSPORT for proof of Citizenship. I just discussed this with the COO and GM and it is approved. This had been discussed with the GM and the sales team but the COO was not aware of this decision and he had not informed us of what he had posted earlier. There was a disconnect but it has been rectified. So to be perfectly clear : YOU CAN USE AN EXPIRED U.S. PASSPORT FOR PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP. With that said the passport must not be one used when you were 10 years old or a minor and now you are 60 years old.

Proof of Citizenship is a requirement set forth by the Army/Gov't not CMP.
I hope this clears the matter up.
Thank you for the clarification!