Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 12:36 AM
Banned

Default Humidity in safe

How much Humidity % should there be in a Gun safe to keep your stocks from drying out over long periods of storage and is there a product that keeps your safe at a constant level reliably any recommendations on one?
Old 06-14-2018, 01:06 AM

I don't know the number, and I think it's pointless to measure it. The best you can do is use a heating rod that is properly sized:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...plug-110v-gold

I have one of these in each of my safes. I wipe my firearms down with Rustlick 631 and use the same on the bores of everything. My firearms are in perfect, rust-free shape, and with these heaters I don't worry about them one bit. I do touch the heater from time to time to make sure that it is working.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:32 AM

The typical problem is too much humidity, not too little.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:26 AM

I keep Golden Rods in all my safes.
Have never noticed any drying of stocks, but then I use linseed oil finishes on them.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:46 AM

Used to do environment stabilization for a living. For most locations the optimal humidity range to maintain is 45-60% ( I have the humidity curve chart to get more precise but its not at my current work). Higher humidity and you get corrosion, lower and non metallic material starts getting too dry, wood shrinks and cracks, leather gets hard, canvas can dry rot. I run a humidistat controlled dehumidifier in my mancave/basement and it runs whenever the humidity is above the high set point. It has a pump and a hose that routes the moisture pulled from the air outside of the mancave. No water tank to drain. Depending on where you live in the winter you might actually need to run a humidifier to keep humidity above 45% so things don't dry out.

HTH's Mark
Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM

The NRA recommends around 50%. They published an article in American Rifleman at one time and I think they said 50-55 to prevent stocks from cracking.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Seeing that you live in Florida I assume your home has central AC and that your safe is in your living area. If so, your AC should maintain a safe humidity level. I lived in New Orleans up until Katrina (2005) and now live in Alabama. I have never experienced any corrosion or stock issues with any of my firearms.
Click Here For My Feedback

In honor of my father, Howard C. Ricks. Corporal, Co. E, 2nd Battalion, 20th Marine Engineers, 4th Marine Division. Later renamed Co. B, 4th Pioneer Battalion after Marianna Operation. Service dates February 1943 to October 31, 1945, Combat action: Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian and Iwo Jima. His rifle SA 893999 met "Captain Crunch".
http://wwiimemorial.com/Registry/pla...oreeID=1841138
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM

I use a dehumidifier in my gun and reloading room. House *relative* humidity is around 50 to 52% at 72F. The gun room is kept at 45% humidity at the same 72F. Some might say it's too dry but I have never had an issue of corrosion on the guns and no issues with powder or primers.

I've never bought into the Goldenrod thing since it's just a heater as stated in previous reply. It raises the ambient temperature which lowers the measured relative humidity but doesn't change the amount of moisture in the air at all.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterMeasure View Post
I've never bought into the Goldenrod thing since it's just a heater as stated in previous reply. It raises the ambient temperature which lowers the measured relative humidity but doesn't change the amount of moisture in the air at all.
It's simple thermodynamics, and you only mentioned half of it. The goldenrod raises the temperature in the safe a few degrees relative to ambient. This drives down the relatively humidity. Here's the key though. With the safe behaving like a low temperature oven compared to ambient, there is no way that there can be any condensation due to thermal cycling of the space. This is its purpose, and it works perfectly. Low temperature heating for humidity control is an old, well-known idea in industry.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:38 PM

Yeap, making sure the temperature never gets near the dew point.