Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 07:22 AM

Never tried the gelbut have had good luck with the liquid. Proper prep is the key, blasting the part is best but I have had decent luck without put but part needs to be 100% oil free.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman366 View Post
Obviously , the gas cylinders cannot be "parked" because they are stainless steel. I use Brounell's Oxinate 84 to chemically blue the cylinders. (they come out black)
A certain well-known parkerizer says that I do the best stainless steel blueing in the country.

I can do you cylinder, plug, lock, sight & stacking swivel for $12, + $6Quantity prices available. return shipping.
Tony Giacobbe, The Garand Guy
He's done 3 of mine and they always come back looking great. A plus is - you can't beat his price
Old 02-07-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Never tried the gelbut have had good luck with the liquid. Proper prep is the key, blasting the part is best but I have had decent luck without put but part needs to be 100% oil free.
I cleaned it very well even before blasting it. I even talked with caswell in regards to there water break test.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I send all mine off too Birdsong Inc. They coated in "Black T" which is impervious to just about everything, including high temps.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM

Smile

the caswell does not work as well on on objects bigger than a gas plug.
i used to use it because it was cold application. through use i found its great for small application only.it also is gloss finish which is drawback.
as my experience evolved i found out that the only way to do a professional finish was with the real stuff. so i bought tanks and the solutions and lots of temp gauges to monitor the temperatures which are critical to getting it done correctly. if you need it done go to www.hueygunner.com jeff
Old 02-07-2015, 05:07 PM

Cerekote holds up really well on just the gas cylinder. Sniper grey is what I've used! Matches the darker park almost perfectly.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowHunt! View Post
Cerekote holds up really well on just the gas cylinder. Sniper grey is what I've used! Matches the darker park almost perfectly.
I tried painting a few different methods problem is it looks painted.
I just don't like the painted look.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:19 AM

Try painting it with Hi temp Rustoleum gas grill paint holding up great for me. I first tried the automotive header paint and you could rub it off with your hand. It would be a lot cheaper to paint it and if not satisfied take it off with acetone and go the expensive route.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejit View Post
Try painting it with Hi temp Rustoleum gas grill paint holding up great for me. I first tried the automotive header paint and you could rub it off with your hand. It would be a lot cheaper to paint it and if not satisfied take it off with acetone and go the expensive route.
I tried paint.....I don't like the painted look.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:23 PM

2 thumbs up for Hueygunner. I have parts he has done, first rate.