Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 15,990
Default

This:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5hluc4u2b...kener.doc?dl=0

Works perfectly every time if done right.

Larry
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
This:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5hluc4u2b...kener.doc?dl=0

Works perfectly every time if done right.

Larry
I think my mistake was trying to use the gel. I did get it to blacken more with repeated applications....I might try re clean the part and try again ?

Once I installed it on the new barrel and took it out side I liked how it looked more than under the florescent lights at my bench.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Nodakdad Nodakdad is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fargo, ND
Posts: 1,376
Default

i used Gunkote on one, turned out pretty nice.
__________________
25+ transactions, 100% Positive Itrader rating,
Until the dark day it was turned off

Josh
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,661
Default

My friend put me in contact with his friend who does acid etching art.
Although hes not familiar with the caswell stuff he did say gel would be harder to get a even color. So i did what he recommended and mixed the gel 1/1 ratio and re dipped the cylinder. It doesnt show well in the pictures I took although Im much happier with the over all finish and color....

So follow Larry's advice if your going to try caswell and get the full strength liquid.

For the record I do not want PAINT it looks PAINTED.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Col Batguano Col Batguano is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 56
Default

When re doing these gas cylinders, must you prevent the liquid from getting inside the cylinder, or does it not matter ?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 PM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Batguano View Post
When re doing these gas cylinders, must you prevent the liquid from getting inside the cylinder, or does it not matter ?
I plugged mine. Brought cylinder to hardware store and found long plugs that sealed To the gas port hole as well as the other end.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 PM
lapriester lapriester is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cobb, N California
Posts: 15,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Batguano View Post
When re doing these gas cylinders, must you prevent the liquid from getting inside the cylinder, or does it not matter ?
I've been told it doesn't matter but I plug mine anyway. If you leave it in the undiluted solution too long I think it will etch the smooth interior. After treatment it's also very important to pull the plugs right away and rinse inside and out just in case there was some leakage. Just remember that longer is not better with the chemical. Once it turns, leave it in just a little longer and take it out.

Since writing those instructions I now screw a small screw into the plugs on both ends and hang the cylinder into the solution rather than turning it over. That prevents an uneven color due to the cylinder sitting on the bottom.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-2015, 08:08 PM
MH53Gunner MH53Gunner is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,478
Default

I have used everything from Brownells Aluma Hyde, Duracoat (Flat Black) and Caswells. One thing that seems to help the Caswells is to roughen up the gas cylinder. I have use aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet to remove all traces of the original finish. I then use rubber plugs too seal the interior of the cylinder.
Duracoat now comes in premixed spray cans.
Also several companies refinish the gas cylinders.
1. CMP Custom Shop
2. The Garand Guy.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM
csm14thbn csm14thbn is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 1,058
Default

I tried doing it myself using caswells SS blackener. Its not cheap but if you have a few things to do I think its worth it. I had about 8-10 gas cylinders, 6 locks and about 6 screws so I figure it was worth trying.

I completely degreased/cleaned the part. Put rubber plugs in the cylinder portion. Hit it with 220 grit al oxide in my cabinet. then I used cotton balls dipped in the solution and just wiped it on over and over until I had a uniform finish. Let it set for a bit then rinsed it off in water and threw it in an oil bath for a few days. I am not sure how much better it would have turned out if I had actually dipped it in the solution but so far I am happy with the results

Here is a gas cylinder before.


Here it is after I used the blackener
__________________
CMP Forum member since SEP 03
325 AIR 82ND, C/2/12 SFG(A), 301st POC(ABN), 426 CA BN(ABN)-CSM, 14 POB-CSM, TF 14 POTF-CSM, 358 CA BDE-CSM, 7th POG-CSM, 9th MSC-CSM "Pride of the Pacific"

Iraq/Afghanistan 03-04
Iraq JAN-NOV 2011
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM
mac1911 mac1911 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm14thbn View Post
I tried doing it myself using caswells SS blackener. Its not cheap but if you have a few things to do I think its worth it. I had about 8-10 gas cylinders, 6 locks and about 6 screws so I figure it was worth trying.

I completely degreased/cleaned the part. Put rubber plugs in the cylinder portion. Hit it with 220 grit al oxide in my cabinet. then I used cotton balls dipped in the solution and just wiped it on over and over until I had a uniform finish. Let it set for a bit then rinsed it off in water and threw it in an oil bath for a few days. I am not sure how much better it would have turned out if I had actually dipped it in the solution but so far I am happy with the results

Here is a gas cylinder before.


Here it is after I used the blackener
Much better than my first results with gel. I eventually was able to get mine looking good but I wasted more than half the gel doing so.
If I ever do another one I will get the liquid and just dip it or get that oxygenate 84 from brownells
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.