Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2015, 08:35 PM

This:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5hluc4u2b...kener.doc?dl=0

Works perfectly every time if done right.

Larry
Old 02-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
This:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5hluc4u2b...kener.doc?dl=0

Works perfectly every time if done right.

Larry
I think my mistake was trying to use the gel. I did get it to blacken more with repeated applications....I might try re clean the part and try again ?

Once I installed it on the new barrel and took it out side I liked how it looked more than under the florescent lights at my bench.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 PM

i used Gunkote on one, turned out pretty nice.

Josh
Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM

My friend put me in contact with his friend who does acid etching art.
Although hes not familiar with the caswell stuff he did say gel would be harder to get a even color. So i did what he recommended and mixed the gel 1/1 ratio and re dipped the cylinder. It doesnt show well in the pictures I took although Im much happier with the over all finish and color....

So follow Larry's advice if your going to try caswell and get the full strength liquid.

For the record I do not want PAINT it looks PAINTED.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:56 PM

When re doing these gas cylinders, must you prevent the liquid from getting inside the cylinder, or does it not matter ?
Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Batguano View Post
When re doing these gas cylinders, must you prevent the liquid from getting inside the cylinder, or does it not matter ?
I plugged mine. Brought cylinder to hardware store and found long plugs that sealed To the gas port hole as well as the other end.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Batguano View Post
I've been told it doesn't matter but I plug mine anyway. If you leave it in the undiluted solution too long I think it will etch the smooth interior. After treatment it's also very important to pull the plugs right away and rinse inside and out just in case there was some leakage. Just remember that longer is not better with the chemical. Once it turns, leave it in just a little longer and take it out.

Since writing those instructions I now screw a small screw into the plugs on both ends and hang the cylinder into the solution rather than turning it over. That prevents an uneven color due to the cylinder sitting on the bottom.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:08 PM

I have used everything from Brownells Aluma Hyde, Duracoat (Flat Black) and Caswells. One thing that seems to help the Caswells is to roughen up the gas cylinder. I have use aluminum oxide in a blast cabinet to remove all traces of the original finish. I then use rubber plugs too seal the interior of the cylinder.
Duracoat now comes in premixed spray cans.
Also several companies refinish the gas cylinders.
1. CMP Custom Shop
2. The Garand Guy.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:41 PM

I tried doing it myself using caswells SS blackener. Its not cheap but if you have a few things to do I think its worth it. I had about 8-10 gas cylinders, 6 locks and about 6 screws so I figure it was worth trying.

I completely degreased/cleaned the part. Put rubber plugs in the cylinder portion. Hit it with 220 grit al oxide in my cabinet. then I used cotton balls dipped in the solution and just wiped it on over and over until I had a uniform finish. Let it set for a bit then rinsed it off in water and threw it in an oil bath for a few days. I am not sure how much better it would have turned out if I had actually dipped it in the solution but so far I am happy with the results

Here is a gas cylinder before.

Here it is after I used the blackener

Iraq/Afghanistan 03-04
Iraq JAN-NOV 2011
Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm14thbn View Post
I tried doing it myself using caswells SS blackener. Its not cheap but if you have a few things to do I think its worth it. I had about 8-10 gas cylinders, 6 locks and about 6 screws so I figure it was worth trying.

I completely degreased/cleaned the part. Put rubber plugs in the cylinder portion. Hit it with 220 grit al oxide in my cabinet. then I used cotton balls dipped in the solution and just wiped it on over and over until I had a uniform finish. Let it set for a bit then rinsed it off in water and threw it in an oil bath for a few days. I am not sure how much better it would have turned out if I had actually dipped it in the solution but so far I am happy with the results

Here is a gas cylinder before.

Here it is after I used the blackener
Much better than my first results with gel. I eventually was able to get mine looking good but I wasted more than half the gel doing so.
If I ever do another one I will get the liquid and just dip it or get that oxygenate 84 from brownells