Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2018, 01:27 PM

Here are the stocks I selected for today.

[img]https://farm1.staticflickr.com/955/41783002191_7a63601f4c_c.jpg[/img

Of course, when I took the last photo I noticed a crack on the porch of the bottom stock. Looks like a splice; I pulled it for inspection, it is pretty dry and may need some glue. I selected a pretty beat up stock as today's victim.

]

I'll take a pic of the label later. 10% +/- of the stocks have a label, a 7-digit number stamped, or both in the channel. Most have the same number stamped on the butt somewhere (varies). I saw one with a 3/4" oval number plate on the butt, and a few with evidence of something once on the bottom of the pistol grip.

JH
There are some very attractive pieces of wood, and some nice birch as well.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:00 PM

About done for today.

Closeup of the label. Most have the number stamped on the outside of the stock written here. Looks like come-ups are here.

After the scrubbed-in oil sat for about an hour I wiped the stocks dry with this. While much crud came off into the scotchbrite this shows what else came off. I'll repeat a few times until this looks cleaner.

Here they are after the wipedown. I'll scrub in another coat or two this afternoon.

JH
Old 04-29-2018, 03:57 PM

Done for the day.

2 sessions of scrub-sit-wipe. Smoothed out roughness, wood isn't as dry, and much cleaner.
See below, 2nd wipedown took off less crud.
I have wiped dry; I'll let sit and wipe dry once more before going to bed.

US Stock:
I couldn't find a cartouche.

Foreign stock:

Happy weekend
JH
Old 05-06-2018, 06:05 PM

I spent some quality time with some stocks today.
I grabbed a few (10-12) and decided to clean this batch to the wood. I sprayed with some water based cleaner (I used a bottle of awesome from $Tree, then refilled with 50% Purple Power and H2O; both work great). I let them soak for 30 min or so then scrubbed with an old scotchbrite sponge. I rinsed with hot water while scrubbing more, then let dry. Much as I want to get out the oil I'll let dry another day or so before considering any finish. Found some cracks and other fun.

This group: Top one is solid but has some varnish that hasn't come off. I'll need something stronger. Denatured Alcohol did nothing so not shellac. I'll strip it later this week.
Middle is the worst crack I found; it's straight through the left side magwell. Tight fit, easy fix, and the wood looks nice.
Bottom one is the one found last week. Looks like a splice was made before it was milled into a stock, top left under the receiver. Solid; I'll inspect the join and work some glue in the cracks before continuing.

This group looks good.
Top one has plugged grenade sight holes and a spliced piece above and to the right of the plugs. Also a heel splice. Also 3 spliced saw cuts just forward of the magwell.
Middle is solid, remanants of a cartouche.
Bottom is a replacement (foreign?) heavy dense wood. These had a nice coat of grease.

Top two below are solid well used stocks. Bottom one has unplugged grenade sight tools, a nice crack above and to the right, and a nice looking cartouche.

Worst group below. Top one is a heavy replacement, bottom left at buttplate is a fault in the wood. Should be easy to fix with sawdust and epoxy.
Middle one had a grenade sight and buttplate, I removed them for cleaning. Ruined because some jackwagon stamped "4400" in the barrel channel! Solid but well worn.RA-P on the bottom of the pistol grip.
Bottom is solid, I'll have to use paint to get rid of the distracting stripes.

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 05-06-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Dishwasher test

I have read on forums (so it has to be true?) that a dishwasher is a good tool to clean stocks.
Since Zvenowife is thankfully a "thing" of the past I decided to test it out; she didn't take the dishwasher (surprisingly).
I selected 3 random stocks that looked typical of the group. Some had Proof-P's but I couldn't find any other useful features (other than the fine checkering).
I removed the top rack and crossed the 3 stocks inside, no issues fitting them. I used Reva liquid detergent (Aldi), full amount. I ran through 1 cycle, set at: Heavy wash, High Temp Wash and NO for Heated Dry. I removed after the wash was complete. I see nothing left in the dishwasher, so you married guys may be safe; run a cycle and put some lemon something in to be safe. No warranty implied.
Here are the results, judge for yourself.
I will try a new format; a before and after picture for each shot.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

Another before

After

The stocks felt "gritty" and did not seem to be as clean as my regular water-based degreaser cleaning. So another test:
I rubbed a paper towel on one from the dishwasher; it has dried for 4-5 days, otherwise nothing done.

I did the same thing (except rubbed longer) on one previously cleaned using 1 session of Purple Power and scrubbing sponge:

Here is another comparison. The middle stock in the photos has some good detail I will use 1024 pixels wide; sorry for the mobile viewers.
BC (before cleaning) is top, AD (After Dishwasher) is bottom. Yeah, I saw that.

My conclusion:
1. This is not a replacement for hand cleaning. These will need to have a scrub session with purple power.
2. This did not destroy the dishwasher (I DID NOT try the foreign made stocks I received, they have a coating of grease. I'm not that stupid.).
3. This did not remove the cartouches.
4. This did raise some of the dents and dings.

Your results will vary, based on detergent, temp of dishwasher, etc. Original condition is always the key, garbage in, less smelly garbage out. The internet told me not to use the heated dry (and that makes sense). When I took them out, immediately after the wash ended they were wet, not dripping, and dried overnight fine. I would wait a few days before working on them, no different from my regular scrub. So I see no need to risk the heated dry, but that may steam out some more dents? I'll probably try one to see, someday.
For what it's worth I have only tried to steam dents with an iron once and wasn't impressed. I may try it again with one of these. Stocks with character are to my liking.

JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 05-12-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:00 PM

ZvenoMan
Ran 4 random stocks thru my "Stock Only" dishwasher. Presprayed with Purple Power. Plus about a cup of Purple Power in the water. Also Finish dishwashing tablet. None of these have any cartouches. Will take some closeup pics next time. I have tried with and without heated dry. I have found heated dry removes more of the dents and dings. Plan to run most of the greasy orange stocks also.

4 Random no cartouche stocks

Little Purple Power spray

After Wash

All Done
Looking For SA #2465125 #3740941 S&W #AHD6840
Semi-Retired LEO
NRA Life Member
Old 05-13-2018, 10:49 PM

ZenoMan&RoadWins---Great info/pics. Have been curious about the "dishwasher" idea.
It is very helpful to see actual results.

Wish I had a "stock only" dishwasher--Looks like the PP and dishwasher combo
works great--

Last edited by Polock; 05-17-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: sp.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:27 PM

Here is today's update.
1903A3 stock (last was post #59).
Purple power didn't take of the shiny finish. I tried lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol, no luck, so probably not varnish or shellac? Maybe polyurethane, maybe TruOil?
I purchased some Citristrip, many have recommended it. I painted on with a 2" brush, wiped dry, per the directions. Took 2 applications, worked great.
I lightly sanded the stock with a pad sander, carefully avoiding the cartouches. I found a small split up front, more of a sliver, so I worked in some cyanoacrylate (super glue) and ran some sandpaper over it.
Now it's time to pin the repairs. There are many ways and many materials to use, here is mine. I hope it works.

Stock sanded, note holes for pins

I used a hand drill, a drill press would be better. You can see where I used tape on the drill bit to mark the depth, I made sure each hole was drilled a good bit past the crack but the tape avoided a stupid mistake of going too far.

I have seen some high dollar stock pins, they look to me like threaded brass rod with a slotted end for a screwdriver. I looked at HD/Lowes for some plain threaded rod, no luck. I looked at brass screws, none looked good to me. So eBay to the rescue, I got some threaded rod (2.5mm and 3mm as below) and some knurled inserts.
Can you use steel? Sure, but I have seen steel pins in 100+ year old stocks, most had rust problems. Stocks have a significant moisture content, so keep that in mind.

Why the knurled inserts Zvenoman?
Screw 2 together with a short piece of rod, seal with superglue and you have a handy stock pin insert tool.
I measured the depth of each hole with a toothpick and cut a slightly longer pin.
Once all were cut, I filled the hole with epoxy (no need to fill all the way, just run some drops in with a toothpick.
I threaded the rod into the hole with the tool, and went on to the next one. I used a 7/64" bit and it left enough bite on the 3mm pins. The glue will be forced into the wood fibers and bond it all together.
I mixed some walnut sawdust (saved from sanding earlier) into the remaining epoxy to make a thick paste and worked it onto a few gouges in the stock.
It's now drying, I'll get back to it in a few days.

Genuine stock pins are made to screw into the stock so they are below the surface. You then use a dowel or filler to seal the hole. It would take a few extra minutes to do that to these pins if you want. Just cut them shorter then cut a slot in one end and screw in with a small screwdriver. A dremel will do all of this if you care to try it. Brownells brass is no better than eBay brass (nothing against Brownells; if you remember how many M1 stocks I have you know why I bought in bulk).
I left these proud as I think most military repairs did it this way, and I don't care to hide the pins. Once dry I'll cut with a hacksaw and file and sand, they will be flush. Brass is easy to work, especially with hand tools, that's another reason its common in stock repair.
JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 06-25-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Quick update:
After the epoxy dried I used a hacksaw and cut off the pins. Get close, just don't risk damaging the stock. These are pretty good closeups (not bad for my iphone at my workbench), you can also see how the epoxy has fully filled the cracks; if these were any wider then the joint would be weaker as the epoxy had filled the void instead of made wood-to-wood contact.

I use a dremel with a sanding drum to sand down the pin. Use a medium speed so you don't cut too fast. Then finish up with sandpaper (always use a sanding stick or block, never use your hand or fingers alone on the sandpaper).

The brass is easy to work with a file or sandpaper.
When I screwed them in, once all 4 were in I used a toothpick to get epoxy all around where they entered the stock. This filled any gaps, but now that these 2 are sanded fluch if I see any pinholes I can fill with a drop of epoxy. But the BLO will probably fill any just the same.

These pins are too large; I should have used smaller ones.
One other option is to drill holes, put in epoxy but drive in wood dowels instead of pins. This is also a common repair and also period correct.
You can also use plain brass rod (easily available at hobby shops, probably at HD/Lowes); many milsurps I have received have previous repairs using them,

JH

Last edited by ZvenoMan; 06-25-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Quick update on some of the M1 Garand stocks. Been busy at work, so they have just been again like fine wine.
Here is one of the nightly feedings.
They have 4 coats of 50% BLO/Turp rubbed in with scotchbrite and this is the 3rd coat of 100% BLO.
I had to pull one from this group for repair; found a sliver in the butt that needs to be glued, next time I mix some epoxy I'll hit it up.
Top photo is before I oiled today; last coat has dried for 24 hrs.

They aren't that shiny, this is just after I rubbed in the oil. I'll wipe down in an hour or so. It's 88 degrees and 65% humidity; they sat for 60-90 min last night and that was perfect; wiped down beautifully. Today they had hardened up well. Several are about ready, a few need more oil.
JH