Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Saluki
Default Please require people to not delete sale prices

On other forums centered on professional or serious competition shooters, it is normal to require people to leave sale prices up on ads even after they have sold. They do this to help others out so they can ascertain accurate prices for equipment, gear or firearms even. This helps out everybody on the forum and I think it would be in the best interest of this community to amend the forum rules to reflect this. It gives justification to the sellers when they set their price a certain way, as well as gives folks who are newer in the game a way to gauge the usually upward momentum when it comes to prices.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 PM

Even if they are out of date it allows both sellers and buyers more data points on which to make a decision.

I would be happy if ads were left up and the prices retained. Just my $.02.

My feedback thread
Old 09-04-2017, 10:57 PM

Default the Smith & Wesson Forum has a method to deal with price deleters:

it's complicated but part of it is that the instant you get a taker on a for-sale advert someone freezes your ad.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator

Seems like a waste of energy since you don't really know much about the sold piece.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 09-05-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
Seems like a waste of energy since you don't really know much about the sold piece.
OR what the item sold for - many rifles will sell for a bit less or a lot less or a trade.

I also think its no ones biz what goes on between me and a seller or me and a buyer - on one of the luger forums, there is a guy who tracks what people pay for things (seriously he does), he will say, oh, well that sold for $650 at auction in 2009, then dealer alpha bought it for $1850 in 2013 and now its being sold by Hank Meyers...

Last edited by weimar_police; 09-05-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Saluki

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
OR what the item sold for - many rifles will sell for a bit less or a lot less or a trade.

I also think its no ones biz what goes on between me and a seller or me and a buyer - on one of the luger forums, there is a guy who tracks what people pay for things (seriously he does), he will say, oh, well that sold for $650 at auction in 2009, then dealer alpha bought it for $1850 in 2013 and now its being sold by Hank Meyers...
If you were or are selling it in a private setting that would be the case. But you are not. You are using an electronic forum owned and operated by a Congressional chartered organization for marksmanship for firearms and firearm related transactions. The purpose of the CMP is not to shield and thereby possibly maximize peoples profit margins.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 AM

OK, so some folks think it's worthwhile, some think it's worth less or nada.

I respect both positions (the Luger guy needs another hobby) but if you are being asked not to do something that's arguably more work (going back and deleting something) which hurts no one by being left alone "as is" isn't just leaving them up a decent solution?

Hurts no one, might help someone and less work?

But if it bothers you to leave your ad up you obviously have the right to do so, it's just an ask, not a command.

My feedback thread
Old 09-05-2017, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki View Post
But you are not. You are using an electronic forum owned and operated by a Congressional chartered organization for marksmanship for firearms and firearm related transactions.
Transactions???? I don't believe that is the purpose of this Forum and the entire Marketplace section can be dropped in a heartbeat and yet the Forum would continue without it.
Be happy it's here at all!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Banned

I think the CMP as a whole wouldn't mind if the forums disappeared altogether, they dont seem to want to put any more effort than they have to in it. At one time there was a threat to remove the marketplace section altogether, threads like this no doubt dont help the situation
Old 09-05-2017, 07:55 AM

I'm sorry but a respectful request to other forum members doesn't jeopardize the whole forum or the marketplace sub forums.
Bickering and rude posts might but IMHO the OP asked a simple request in a polite manner.
Let's keep it civil and then no worries. And I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating an opinion.
I think the marketplace helps the CMP if they realize it or not by providing a secondary market for their goods thus increasing the liquidity of those goods and decreasing the risk associated with their purchase. I hope it remains.

My feedback thread
Closed Thread