Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Default 308 M1 for modern military?

Several shooters I know who travel to the cmp games have said the 308 M1 is now acceptable for
Modern Military? I also thought I had read a thread here on the same lines of what I have been told buy these shooters returning from the VT games?

Been looking for the thread but my search fu is weak.

Last edited by mac1911; 10-14-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Neither the printed rules nor the online rules allow the 7.62 M1 in Modern Military. It is classed as an Unlimited M1 Garand. Don't know why it should not be allowed but I cannot find any other reference to one in the rules.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-15-2017, 09:52 AM

Read the posts in the M1 forum regarding this matter. This simply points out (again) the failure of the rulebook to properly define the MM class. With few exceptions, there are no rifles that can be used in more than one CMP GSVMM match. Rule 5.2.5 b specifically places the .308 M1s in the Unlimited M1 Garand class. The M1 is not listed in the 5.2.4 MM Class B weight limit table. If Mark Johnson wants to make or change rules, he can. I have seen enough variations at the inspection table to discount any reports from that source. Check out Rule 5.2.2 which applies to "All Modern Military Rifles". Scopes are allowed.....so M1D and M1C?? Also e) "metallic sights, if used, must have an M16 type sight" ?? It just goes on and on.... Good Shooting. ....
Old 10-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Although my comments above are correct, per Mark Johnson in a conversation this morning, "...we have always allowed .308 M1's in Modern Military; it is post 1955...." So it can be shot in MM as well as Unlimited M1 Garand. He said the rule will be clarified.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 10-15-2017, 03:53 PM

Always been legal.....but they have yet to put in the weight limit table. I'm glad it's legal, adds another competitive rifle to go with the ARs and M14 types. Good Shooting. ..
Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM

My guess is it will be Unlimited Modern Military.
I would like to know why an M1A standard has to take off the rear sight hood to shoot against scopes?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:28 PM

At the 2017 Oklahoma Games I asked about shooting an .30-06 Italian M1 in the modern military match. While not allowed by the rules I was told that it would be okay to do so.

I wish it was allowed by the rulebook though as you never know what the ruling will be next time.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
Although my comments above are correct, per Mark Johnson in a conversation this morning, "...we have always allowed .308 M1's in Modern Military; it is post 1955...." So it can be shot in MM as well as Unlimited M1 Garand. He said the rule will be clarified.

Thank you for that info. This is what was relayed to me by a few shooters who went to Butner and VT games. In which they said it was Mr. Johnson who actually told them.

Although it amazes me IF cmp decides to allow something at the "games" they should keep track of this allowed changes and at least post amendments to the rules as they go along.

I will agree the rules are not very clear and many do not make sense. As mentioned M16 style sight is such a poor description
M16 a1 or a2 , M4 1moa 1/2moa 1/4 moa ?

Well any how Im going to shoot my 308 M1 in the next local MM match and maybe just maybe make the trip to VT next year
Old 10-15-2017, 10:46 PM
Super Moderator

I heard that MM was originally created to allow the M16A1 with the pencil barrel so the rules catered to that. But many other rifles fit in MM and they added them but didn't overhaul the rules. Maybe this time they will really go over the rules with the goal of clarification for all. I'm sure that if a lot of shooters sent in proposed rewrites, they would be more motivated.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:20 AM

Default MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
I heard that MM was originally created to allow the M16A1 with the pencil barrel so the rules catered to that. But many other rifles fit in MM and they added them but didn't overhaul the rules. Maybe this time they will really go over the rules with the goal of clarification for all. I'm sure that if a lot of shooters sent in proposed rewrites, they would be more motivated.
Where and to whom to you send proposed rule changes?