Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
I heard that MM was originally created to allow the M16A1 with the pencil barrel so the rules catered to that. But many other rifles fit in MM and they added them but didn't overhaul the rules. Maybe this time they will really go over the rules with the goal of clarification for all. I'm sure that if a lot of shooters sent in proposed rewrites, they would be more motivated.
See this is where things just get silly... M16a1 based rules. This is why I gave up try to build a MM AR in the early start.
CMP needs to make rules clear and fair.
As mentioned if optics are allowed there should be no reason hooded rear sights should not be.

My 308 makes weight for as issued so I would hope if they change up the rules they at least keep it close to that?

I also feel there should be a separation from optics and iron sights. IMHO

It's all good . Thank you

Last edited by mac1911; 10-16-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:41 AM

"silly" ..... Well: Rule 5.2.2 says "all Modern Military Rifles must comply" then; d) you can use a scope and e) if you have metallic sights, they must be M16 type. "silly" would be your 308 M1 with it's rear sight in the "carry handle". Obviously this is ridiculous and it has been there year after year in the rulebook. Not much reason to point out additional mistakes. Now we have changes being made at the inspection table and Games Matches. Way past time for a cleanup, IMO. Good Shooting. ....
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
"silly" ..... Well: Rule 5.2.2 says "all Modern Military Rifles must comply" then; d) you can use a scope and e) if you have metallic sights, they must be M16 type. "silly" would be your 308 M1 with it's rear sight in the "carry handle". Obviously this is ridiculous and it has been there year after year in the rulebook. Not much reason to point out additional mistakes. Now we have changes being made at the inspection table and Games Matches. Way past time for a cleanup, IMO. Good Shooting. ....
Basically I just show up,at the local matches and see what the current match director deems GTG.
I hope to get to VT next year and shoot JCG,MM, maybe a EIC and if all,things work out vintage sniper.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Where and to whom to you send proposed rule changes?

From the Rule Interpretations paragraph on the Competition Rules page:
"Questions about the CMP Competitions Rulebooks or rule recommendations can be directed to the CMP Competitions Department at [email protected] or (419) 635-2141, ext. 714 or 722."

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 12-17-2017, 09:37 PM

Has anyone used an M1c or M1d in a MM competition?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 AM

Aggg.... I await the 2018 rule book.... Good Shooting. ...
Old 12-19-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Aggg.... I await the 2018 rule book.... Good Shooting. ...
I proposed a change to allow "vintage" semi autos to be able to compete with the "vintage" bolt guns... instead of against the "modern" semiautos...

I was told there were NO changes from the 2017 to the 2018 season RE games.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1715468131859756/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 12-26-2017, 09:37 PM

We don't shoot the M1 in Vintage, or modern because it already has a specific match; the JCG. The same as the Springfield isn't shot in Vintage Military, because it has a specific Springfield match. If they allow the .308 Garand in Modern;..Fine I guess, but why would you want to do that ? You couldn't use any accurizing unless they make an unlimited Modern Mill category. If they made a UMM, then that lets in unlimited category A rifles in the same match. That means NM Ar-15's, and people would cry that it isn't fair. If you have a .308 M1, there really is only two options. Leave it alone, and shoot the JCG as an Unlimited, and the board matches, or do every NM acurizing trick under the sun, and still shoot the JCG in unlimited, and the board matches. The easiest thing to do would be to remove the "unlimited" stigma off the .308 M1, but then the 30/06 JCG guys would say it isn't fair.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:53 PM

Arggg. Good Shooting. .
Old 12-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
I proposed a change to allow "vintage" semi autos to be able to compete with the "vintage" bolt guns... instead of against the "modern" semiautos...

I was told there were NO changes from the 2017 to the 2018 season RE games.
As a guy that owns an M1 but not a bolt gun, that proposed change would give me another opportunity to shoot. I wouldn't expect the m1 to be very competitive but it would be fun anyway.