Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Default 1911 Manufacturers

I am a rifle guy not a pistol guy. As such I know my way around long guns but not so much pistols.

Am I correct in assuming that a 1911 is a WWI, or at least pre WWII, production and a 1911A1 is a WWII version?

Also who are the manufacturers, how many did they make and which are considered to be the most collectable?

Collectable for me would be a service grade shooter from the WWII era.

Thanks for any help and advice,

rifle guy
Old 12-15-2017, 08:45 PM

Essentially yes - but not a clear defined cut off like that, but yes.
WW1 - Colt, Springfield and Remington (not Remington Rand)
WWII - Colt, Ithaca, Remington Rand, and 500 made by Singer

this site is a great one http://www.coolgunsite.com/
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM

Yes, you are correct on the model numbers.

WWI:

Colt, Springfield, Remington UMC, and North American Arms (100+/- made under contract, none delivered)

WWII: Colt, Singer, Ithaca, Union Switch and Signal, Remington Rand.

Rarest by production is the NAA, then Singer. But there are variations and years of Colts that are extremely rare and valuable, like the 50 first day pistols, or first block of 1912 Navies, 1937 and 1938 Colts, etc.

I wouldn't expect any super rare items to come up, so don't get excited about a first day Colt coming along. My belief is there will be mostly re-arsenaled M1911s and A1s, and complete mixmasters with parts of different eras (even post-war and commercial). I wouldn't expect it to be like the DCM offerings of the 1960s where some received brand-new un-issued pistols either. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel I'll be proven right. Plenty of pictures online of what the Army has had and used as these were phased out. They're USGI, but they ain't pretty.

Last edited by abtex1; 12-15-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Comments
Old 12-15-2017, 08:53 PM

Plus the WWII Union Switch and Signal (US&S) 1911A1s.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:33 PM

My personal suspicion is that anything World War One era is long gone.I doubt after the huge numbers of A1ís made in WW2 the dcm sell offs of the 60ís and the fact many were released even prior to WW2 plus prior to WW2officers could buy guns out of military stock that the military held on to any non A1ís are no longer in inventory. The most common A1ís is Remington Rand so the is most of what you will see along with smaller numbers of colt and Ithaca. If they stumble across union switch and signal or a singer it will be an auction item
Old 12-15-2017, 11:35 PM

Having said that there is a guy in sf posting on ar15.com that as recently as about 5 years ago he was issued a straight 1911 with a commercial colt frame of all things
Old 12-16-2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorD View Post
Having said that there is a guy in sf posting on ar15.com that as recently as about 5 years ago he was issued a straight 1911 with a commercial colt frame of all things
Anything is possible in the military. Want to get on a CG's good side? Show up where another General of higher rank has spotted an item that the Army by serial number has been disposed of and offer to legally remove it from the base. Same thing will happen with firearms but with them, like in the case of M1s, they just marked the A on them. The Army runs on numbers. If it meets specs, it just works. That pistol could very well have been one that they had bought a commercial frame for way back and was needed to keep the total number of pistols correct for the bean counters.
Old 12-16-2017, 06:03 AM

What about a Colt, 6 digit made in 1919 all original and correct. Albeit, deemed to have been there and done it. But with a nice petenia. Man that thing is soon to be 100 years old!!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Some good advice here.

Many forums and books exist that specialize in the Model of 1911 and 1911A1 and they are a worthwhile time/money investment.

RE: the commercial Colt issued by the military: These would have been M1911A1 types, not Model of 1911 types. There were some Commercial pistols (called "Government Models", but those were not meant for government sales as military pistols, it was just marketing) that were "militarized" by Colt during WWII. It is entirely possible that man on the other forum was 100% correct but his statement about "straight" meant a straight mainspring, or he recalls the facts imperfectly. They did 6575 pistols, late 42-early 43. There were even commercial Colt slides in the mix too.

PS
I note with annoyance that when I post informational material that is not directly related to the OP's question, my posts are often removed. Should admin or a moderator see fit to delete this comment too, a PM from you on exactly why would sure be swell.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:31 AM

Don't know about YOUR post Chris; but OP said zero about CMP 1911 Surplus'es, and I see a couple responses that DO bring up that topic, about and FOR which CMP bosses have locked threads...

Just an observation here.............................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_B View Post
Some good advice here.

Many forums and books exist that specialize in the Model of 1911 and 1911A1 and they are a worthwhile time/money investment.

RE: the commercial Colt issued by the military: These would have been M1911A1 types, not Model of 1911 types. There were some Commercial pistols (called "Government Models", but those were not meant for government sales as military pistols, it was just marketing) that were "militarized" by Colt during WWII. It is entirely possible that man on the other forum was 100% correct but his statement about "straight" meant a straight mainspring, or he recalls the facts imperfectly. They did 6575 pistols, late 42-early 43. There were even commercial Colt slides in the mix too.

PS
I note with annoyance that when I post informational material that is not directly related to the OP's question, my posts are often removed. Should admin or a moderator see fit to delete this comment too, a PM from you on exactly why would sure be swell.

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on /09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?