Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2018, 03:41 AM

I have an ACOG on one of my Carbines and I am very tempted to mount it on my 20-inch WO A4 CMP Build and try an optic this season. My ACOG is a TA-31F which is 4x.

As for what you listed in the opening post, I believe your scope is too magnified to be legal too. I recall the rules limit an optic to 4x but Id need to recheck myself. Now, many local clubs will still ket you shoot for fun as Ive seen all kinds of stuff on the line but your score will be lumped in with the open class that includes some very high end rifles so understand what your scores could be lower than the Pack.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I have an ACOG on one of my Carbines and I am very tempted to mount it on my 20-inch WO A4 CMP Build and try an optic this season. My ACOG is a TA-31F which is 4x.

As for what you listed in the opening post, I believe your scope is too magnified to be legal too. I recall the rules limit an optic to 4x but Id need to recheck myself. Now, many local clubs will still ket you shoot for fun as Ive seen all kinds of stuff on the line but your score will be lumped in with the open class that includes some very high end rifles so understand what your scores could be lower than the Pack.
The magnification limit is actually 4.5X.

As for an ACOG, they are great combat optics but are problematic when used for precision shooting. Using a scope with a relative fine reticle is helpful for precision shooting and repeatable adjustments for windage and elevation are critical. ACOG's just don't have those characteristics.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:48 PM

I've only seen one instance on the net of someone box testing an ACOG. By their word (no pics), it tracked.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 04-02-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
I've only seen one instance on the net of someone box testing an ACOG. By their word (no pics), it tracked.
Even if it tracks well, I wouldn't count on it remaining repeatable over the long run. It was never intended to be constantly adjusted for windage and elevation as one needs on a service rifle course. ACOG's are meant to zeroed and then the caps are screwed back on the adjustment knobs and the BDC reticle is used to provide the needed offset as range varies. ACOG's are great combat sights but were never designed to be precision sights. Besides, the adjustment knobs aren't very user friendly on the older models.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:44 PM

Sounds like irons. :P
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara