Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2018, 10:29 PM

Default Service Rifle in California

I’m wondering where things stand regarding shooting an AR-15 service rifle in California these days. After the bullet buttons went away I thought I’d hear more about it. Is there any provision for competition rifles similar to the Olympic pistols list that are exempt from the CA roster? Is there such thing as a CA-legal service rifle, except for M1s, M1As, and grandfathered ARs?

Not looking to poke at a painful wound—just curious as to any developments.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Don't have any useful answer to offer. Do hope for something positive. Will follow thread with interest. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:04 PM
GSM Master Instructor

I'll take a crack at this but I am putting a flak jacket on first for fear of shrapnel due to my answer!
At the worst, I will learn from my mistakes here.

It is my understanding and of my reading of the laws, and I am no expert nor am I a lawyer, that for one, the bullet buttons are not going away.

I am aware of no provisions for AR style rifles that are used in competitions such as the Olympic pistols you correctly mentioned.

Not sure what you mean by a grandfathered AR in regards to Californians ?

Next, as far as competitions go, the CMP has already modified what type and style of AR's can be used in competitions so that those in California, and some other states, can still compete with rifles that have been made legal according to the state they live in.

Here?
You have until June 2018 I believe (already pushed back six months) to register what they call of course "assault rifles".
You have to pay for this privilege, send in copious amounts of photos as directed of your weapon (where they specifically ask to see a picture of your bullet button) and the application will be refused if the photos are not in the quantity they demand or are not clear.

The state says if you do not do this by the June deadline you will never be able to register it

If you remove the:
flash hider (and pet peave, you do NOT have to put a muzzle brake on it; just put a cap over the exposed threads - - it is not fun practicing at the range next to a muzzle braked AR and if I recall correctly muzzle brakes are not allowed for SR competitions)
pistol grip
and
put a non-adjustable stock on it
California doesn't think it is an assault weapon anymore and you do not have to register it.

Again, no expert and not a lawyer, but that is they way I read it.

I believe as a visitor to our state if you are going to shoot a match you won't be required to meet these regulations for your visit.

Distinguished Rifleman 2383
CMP RSO II

Last edited by jarheadteacher; 01-30-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, jarhead!

By "grandfathered" rifles I just meant rifles owned in CA before Dec. 31 2016. I did some digging and it seems that unless you were a CA resident with a bullet-button rifle before Dec. 31, 2016 you aren't allowed to register it at all (the deadline is July 1, 2018).

From pictures in the 2018 California Grizzlies calendar online it looks like they are using Monsterman grips, so I guess no more bullet buttons for them?

Do the 10 round mags still have to have a 20 round profile by new CMP rules? If so, what's the go-to mag for CA SR shooters?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:23 PM

I don't know if it would help, but you might post your question on the CalGuns forum or write the CMP directly and see what the Competitions section has to say.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

I will now duck and cover, just in case you have already done that.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
I don't know if it would help, but you might post your question on the CalGuns forum or write the CMP directly and see what the Competitions section has to say.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php

I will now duck and cover, just in case you have already done that.
You are right of course, but I just asked to satisfy my curiosity. Calguns would be a better place to ask, but being from a difficult state myself I know that forums like that, are uh, monitored by people who have the power to makes things a little more onerous at the state level.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 PM

Yep. I'm a life member of CRPA so I still get their magazine, etc. The whole thing gives me a headache. At least here in Texas, it's a lot simpler. I am always thinking I should drive out and shoot the PacFleet matches, but the only rifle I would take would be the M1.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 PM
GSM Master Instructor

BPM32,

I could look it up, but I didn't, but my recollection of the CMP rules is Cali (and other restricted states) can use 10 and even 5 round magazines in competitions with no penalty. They do not have to have the 20 round profile.
But I believe that only residents from states that have such restrictive laws can use those magazines, not people in other states who can legally have/possess 20 round profile mags.

Currently some people compete with 5 or 10 round magazines of various makers.
Some people put a rivet(s) through the body of the 20-round magazine to prevent the magazine from accepting more than 10 rounds.
Some people put plastic limiters in the bottom of magazines that prevent you from loading more than 10 rounds.
There is yet another law being fought in the courts in this state that wants to make you get rid of any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds.

No one can question the Grizzlies as their results speak for themselves. In regards to the Monsterman grip.
The Thordsen stock seems to be popular for getting rid of the pistol grip and having a fixed stock. With a Thordsen added all you need to do in addition to avoid the state registration, is remove your flash hider.

CDRT:
Hello! We have spoken a few times on the internet via email about pistol matches, 45's and 185 JHP loads and the correct recoil springs needed. Please come to the Western Pac Fleet Matches this year. There are always a couple Garands and M-14's shooting and if you want to borrow an AR from me I will gladly lend you one.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:55 PM

Thanks, jarhead—I see it now: Section 4.1.2 CMP Alternative Rifle.