Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2018, 05:06 PM

Default What should I take to Rifle SAFS at Camp Perry?

I am going to Rifle SAFS this year hoping to learn the AR platform, positions and to learn everything possible about competition. I have been to a Garand Clinic and have shot my M1s in very small matches at my club (100yrd walkup) so I have some gear.

Anyhow, I have a coat, glove, mat, scope & stand, shooting stool, Ron Brown sling and an original Bob Sled. What I don't have is a cart to lug all of this stuff or a clue as to how much of this stuff should I take? I don't want to take stuff that I can't use at SAFS. Can you use a sled? Should I get a cart?

Any insight as to what to expect at SAFS? I have an A2 clone that I never shot very much. I just put a RRA 2-stage trigger in it so that it would feel more like a M1 and got a sled so that I could single load prone...how the heck do you single load prone without a sled? Plan to get as much range time and dry firing as possible beforehand.

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 PM

I can’t speak to all of your questions, but ifyou put an empty mag in, and single load through the ejection port it usually takes care of itself. I use a jogging stroller that my wife picked up from a rummage sale. The stroller has ten inch air tires so you can load it up and push it with one finger.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:31 PM

cranehunter - thank you, I will look at jogging strollers! I guess my problem with single loading the AR is I cant see what all is going on in there like I can in a M1 or M14 and it just seems like you could easy miss-feed.

I need more trigger time with the AR.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 PM

I'm like you in that I don't shoot my AR much when I much more enjoy wood and steel. That said, I did the SAFS at the Vermont Games 2 years ago and had a great time. The morning class will instruct you on all you need to know to be ready for the mini EIC match in the afternoon, and ask away with the questions, you'll get the right answers.
Single load is not difficult with mag in and you'll get the hang of it.
Bring what all gear you have, the rifle and ammo are provided, and I'm sure you'll have a great time. I'll do it again when I have a chance, it's a good experience and practice.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 02-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanks Craftsman, I'll take it all then
Old 02-01-2018, 08:32 PM

Bring your coat, glove and spotting scope & stand and stool. You can carry all of that to the 200 yard line of Viale (800+ yard walk) or get some kind of cart or wagon. Bring your sled too if you wish to use it. Your coach will have a mat for you to use and his / her own spotting scope for their use. Bring something to write with and something to write on to record your sight settings. AMU / CMP will issue each firing point a rifle (with sling), 2 mags and ammo. Rifles are mostly
Rock River NM A4 w/ irons for the most part (I have see some carbines). I would recommend just using the web sling issued with the rifle.

SAFS is fired like a walk n paste without the walking and pasting. All from the 200 yd line and you will fire all stages consecutively. Everything fired on the SR. Sighting / SP / RP / RS / SS then done. Score for your squadding partner and go to the pits for pit duty.

Day 1 begins with instruction In the theatre then dry fire on range and finally live fire practice. The following day will be the EIC match. It is a great experience.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO

Last edited by Rootsy; 02-01-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Bring your coat, glove and spotting scope & stand and stool. You can carry all of that to the 200 yard line of Viale (800+ yard walk) or get some kind of cart or wagon. Bring your sled too if you wish to use it. Your coach will have a mat for you to use and his / her own spotting scope for their use. Bring something to write with and something to write on to record your sight settings. AMU / CMP will issue each firing point a rifle (with sling), 2 mags and ammo. Rifles are mostly
Rock River NM A4 w/ irons for the most part (I have see some carbines). I would recommend just using the web sling issued with the rifle.

SAFS is fired like a walk n paste without the walking and pasting. All from the 200 yd line and you will fire all stages consecutively. Everything fired on the SR. Sighting / SP / RP / RS / SS then done. Score for your squadding partner and go to the pits for pit duty.

Day 1 begins with instruction In the theatre then dry fire on range and finally live fire practice. The following day will be the EIC match. It is a great experience.
Glad you explained that Rootsy for the way it's done at Camp Perry over 2 days. The travel games do a condensed 1 day SAFS including the EIC match

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 AM

Rootsy - really appreciate the info. Thank you answering everything! Looking forward to July!
Old 02-02-2018, 05:05 AM

I've used a sled at SAFS in the past without any issues. Regarding the sling, you are REQUIRED to use the web sling that is provided with the rifles. That being said if you have questions regarding setting up or using the 1907 I'm sure the coaches would be more than happy to help. You just couldn't use it in the match.

Also at Perry they have a "shooters shuttle"I believe it's called, that you can ride from the theater to the 200yrd line. I've seen people more than once not use a cart during nationals. Most wear their jacket, throw their rolled up mat over the spotting scope stand, sling their rifle over the shoulder, and have a backpack with everything else they need.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droog View Post
I've used a sled at SAFS in the past without any issues. Regarding the sling, you are REQUIRED to use the web sling that is provided with the rifles. That being said if you have questions regarding setting up or using the 1907 I'm sure the coaches would be more than happy to help. You just couldn't use it in the match.

Also at Perry they have a "shooters shuttle"I believe it's called, that you can ride from the theater to the 200yrd line. I've seen people more than once not use a cart during nationals. Most wear their jacket, throw their rolled up mat over the spotting scope stand, sling their rifle over the shoulder, and have a backpack with everything else they need.
Droog, thanks more great info! Glad you pointed out the requirement to use the web sling. I think I have 6 web slings but never really attempted to use one.

Appreciate everybody's input and answers!!!!