Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2018, 04:58 PM

Unhappy CMP Highpower Rifle vs. CMP Games Rules??

I am new to competition. I thought I would start by shooting in the Service Rifle category with a 20" RRA CMP 2016 upper, a UBR stock, and a NM trigger. All was fine and dandy until I contacted the local guys who have CMP GSM competition and lo and behold, they operate under the CMP Games rules and my rifle isn't compliant.

How would one know that CMP has two rulebooks with different rules? He was arguing with me that my rifle wasn't compliant when I pointed out all the places like RRA, Whiteoak, CLE, etc. that makes CMP Service Rifles. At that point he discovered the "other" rules that allowed such a rifle, but not into their competition.

I also discovered that the NRA High Power rules seem to allow my new rifle as well, so out of three sets of rules, only the CMP Games rules exclude me.

Is there more I need to know about all of this as I am confused and bewildered by all the various idiosyncrasies involved with these types of competitions. Thanks...

ps: Did you ever notice that CMP spells it Highpower and NRA spells it High Power? As if things weren't already confusing
Old 02-07-2018, 05:10 PM

One easy way to tell what rulebook will be used is how many shots are fired in the match, 30 vs. 50 or 80. Games matches are usually 30 round matches HP is usually 50 or 80.

Just go shoot high power and enjoy your new rifle.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 02-07-2018, 05:30 PM

CMP Games Rules ARE NOT the same as CMP Service Rifle.
CMP Service rifle is the same as NRA Service Rifle. (Well Rifle wise).

CMP Games are shot at 200yds only and usually are shot along with GSMM etc matches.
Service Rifle matches (which your rifle is set up for) are shot out to 600yds. They are shot as their own matches..................

So you want "high power," "Service rifle" or "National Match" matches.
The matches with: "CMP Games", "Modern Military (MM)", "GSM/M"............. you DON"T want.

Around here though, we try let every and any one shoot in matches.
You might shoot "out-of-competition" but shoot.........................

Last edited by Gewehr43; 02-07-2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:12 PM

mncarbine, The first rule of competition is to understand the rules. You are currently at that stage. Just keep going.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
mncarbine, The first rule of competition is to understand the rules. You are currently at that stage. Just keep going.
Half of the problem is the places hosting the matches. They don't post enough detail to know. The closest club to me had a match they called the "CMP/1000". That was it...in their calendar and list of events, that was all it said. I talked to them, it was a GSM match shot on the 1000yd field. You would have to be an "insider" to know they weren't shooting a 1000 yd event nor would you have a clue about whether it was a "games" or not. Even the guy who answered the phone didn't know what the match was about and had to check with someone and call back.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
One easy way to tell what rulebook will be used is how many shots are fired in the match, 30 vs. 50 or 80. Games matches are usually 30 round matches HP is usually 50 or 80.

Just go shoot high power and enjoy your new rifle.
As I just noted, they provide zero information about the match...other than CMP...not enough for an "outsider" to know what they are doing. Likewise, no where on their site to they describe their "disciplines" or provide any detail on their events,,,just a cryptic title.

I was hoping to stay in Service Rifle, and compete against Service Rifles, those dealing with the same limitations, i.e. 4.5X scope, etc. I was trying to wade my way into this by not having to compete against shooters who have a scope that costs more than my whole rig

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 08:29 PM

OP:

As Rickgman says........... stick it out......... you'll get to the matches you want!

To be honest, it sounds like the club you reached out to wasn't very organized.

What state are you in?

Maybe another way is find a Service Rifle shooter/forum/ focused club in your state and then work backwards.................
Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 PM

It took me probably my whole first year to come to terms with the different rules and sanctioning bodies. Then EIC’s, P100’s and team matches... it did get a little overwhealming. It sounds like your local club did a bad job of letting out what they were actually up to. Most clubs will put together a simple match program on their website.

I’ve been involved in a ton of sports and hobbies. I always felt like an outsider until I got in there and participated. Sometimes that outsider feeling went away fast, sometimes it took a while. Shooters are an accepting group of people, it won’t take much to start making friends.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 02-08-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:

As Rickgman says........... stick it out......... you'll get to the matches you want!

To be honest, it sounds like the club you reached out to wasn't very organized.

What state are you in?

Maybe another way is find a Service Rifle shooter/forum/ focused club in your state and then work backwards.................
I am in New Mexico. The closest thing to a state web site I know of it the one I run as I found it so difficult to get information when I moved here in 2012. I wanted to know about gun shows, clubs, ranges, etc. I found out about a local match on a Colorado site...go figure.

If there is another firearm-oriented site that has regional or state information, I would love to hear about it.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:33 PM

Go to "Competitions" at the top of the page, then to "Competition Tracker". Check your state and surrounding states to find out who offers sanctioned events. There will also be "local" matches. Unfortunately, in sparsely populated regions, you may find shooting events few and far between. If you can visit the NRA facility in NM, you may get some useful information. Addendum. ...QUESTION FOR ALL....is CMP taking over NRA Hi Power?? I don't have the big picture on this, but it seems changes are in the works??? Good Shooting. ...