Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Addendum. ...QUESTION FOR ALL....is CMP taking over NRA Hi Power?? I don't have the big picture on this, but it seems changes are in the works??? Good Shooting. ...
Short answer: No. The CMP is just running their own high power program. The NRA still has theirs too.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 02-08-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncarbine View Post
As I just noted, they provide zero information about the match...other than CMP...not enough for an "outsider" to know what they are doing. Likewise, no where on their site to they describe their "disciplines" or provide any detail on their events,,,just a cryptic title.

I was hoping to stay in Service Rifle, and compete against Service Rifles, those dealing with the same limitations, i.e. 4.5X scope, etc. I was trying to wade my way into this by not having to compete against shooters who have a scope that costs more than my whole rig

Thanks!
Slow down. You are not going to be "competitive" for a while. As you said, you are new to this. Ask questions. There is probably contact info on their website to find out what set of rules they are using. If you are getting into the sport just to compete, you will not like it. The whole point is to have fun and improve your skills. I showed up to my first garand match with a rifle and ammo. The other shooters walked me through the whole thing. I have never been to a range where new shooters aren't welcome. If you start to argue with people about rules, again, you probably won't have fun.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Go to "Competitions" at the top of the page, then to "Competition Tracker". Check your state and surrounding states to find out who offers sanctioned events. There will also be "local" matches. Unfortunately, in sparsely populated regions, you may find shooting events few and far between. If you can visit the NRA facility in NM, you may get some useful information. Addendum. ...QUESTION FOR ALL....is CMP taking over NRA Hi Power?? I don't have the big picture on this, but it seems changes are in the works??? Good Shooting. ...
I did discover that part of the site and found that the Capitan club has an EIC match. I had already talked to their president and he sent me their schedule.

Since I run the closest thing we have to a list of events, gun shows, etc. in the state, I am familiar with where most ranges and clubs are, but most of them either don't have a web site, it is outdated, or doesn't contain any details like the closest club to me.

Thanks!
NM Concealed Carry Instructor
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranehunter View Post
Slow down. You are not going to be "competitive" for a while. As you said, you are new to this. Ask questions. There is probably contact info on their website to find out what set of rules they are using. If you are getting into the sport just to compete, you will not like it. The whole point is to have fun and improve your skills. I showed up to my first garand match with a rifle and ammo. The other shooters walked me through the whole thing. I have never been to a range where new shooters aren't welcome. If you start to argue with people about rules, again, you probably won't have fun.
If I had tried to show up at the local club, I wouldn't have even gotten past the locked gate. Then, based on my conversation with them, they have no Service Rifle options as they are another "CMP Games" club. As I said previously, I had to talk to them as their site has no information on what kind of match they offer, what rules, etc. I didn't argue with them.

I am a member of a local club that shoots at the City range. They shoot High Power and they said whether or not they have a class for Service Rifle, I can shoot with them. They also partner an experienced person with a newbie so I will have help.

Since that is a once a month league option, I was hoping to find about other choices in the local area. I called and wrote one club that didn't reply. Even the league secretary's voice mail message was terse, one of those that doesn't encourage leaving a message at all, but I left a nice message and still no reply.

I know I am being impulsive and wanting to jump in so to speak, but that is the way I am.
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 PM

I reccomend a 100 yard walk and paste match to start. Usually they have instruction on positions during the match. Sight alignment and trigger pull!
Old 02-08-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thmountain View Post
I reccomend a 100 yard walk and paste match to start. Usually they have instruction on positions during the match. Sight alignment and trigger pull!
That makes sense, but it doesn't seem they offer that. Maybe we will do some form of that. I am scheduled to shoot with the league, same time, but that doesn't mean I will be doing everything they will be doing. I know they discussed getting shots in towards reaching NRA classification and something about needing to attend 4 of these league matches to shoot enough to get ranked.

It might be odd, but the course is only shot at 100 yards, so it will be a 100 yard shoot anyway. The range has steel out to 750 so they have ranges at least that long, well past the 600yd I will ultimately have to shoot at.

I think we shoot on the same range as the .22LR-F class which shoots at 50 and 100 yards.

If I get off my butt soon enough, I am going to go out and break in my new rifle today...

Thanks for all the help!
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 PM

OP:

How far away is this from you:

http://www.capitanhipower.com/StateC...pProgramPg.pdf

These are the shooters etc you need to get hooked up with..............
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:

How far away is this from you:

http://www.capitanhipower.com/StateC...pProgramPg.pdf

These are the shooters etc you need to get hooked up with..............
Several hours away....to attend an event there means going down the day before and spending the night and it is a remote location with few lodging options. I really need an RV

I have been talking to their president. They have a nice club and they host the state championships.

Thanks,
Lew
CMP Service Rifle Newbie
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 AM

Just ask to fire out of competition with what you have if it is a pure AIMR (GSM) Match.

I run a AIMR program along with a HP program. Garand Course A for AIMR and Presidents course for HP shooters. All fired at the same time. I am running a couple of dedicated 1000 point aggs in HP format this year in addition and my Match program allows the GSM guys to shoot their rifles if they think they have the sack to endure 100 rounds from the wood guns. Games shooters don’t generally care for rapid sitting or more than 10 rounds on their feet

Walk and paste is a good way to begin. Jumping right into an EIC may be a bit overwhelming. You get ZERO sighting shots and it is full course (2/3/600).
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO

Last edited by Rootsy; 02-10-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Hey I just checked both rule books and can't seem to find where it says you can't use that stock in either match what am I missing?