Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Default CMP Advanced Maintenance Class

Last weekend I had the pleasure of taking the AMC . Chris Hord the custom shop supervisor also taught the class. He did an outstanding job.There was so much information given to us during our time there that would be of great benefit to anyone who enjoys the M1 Garand. We got to build our own rifle. We picked our own parts and had to do all the things a custom rifle gunsmith would do to make the gun complete ready to shoot. Mark Johnson the CEO of the CMP spoke with us in our class and gave us all the latest and complete information on the 1911 pistols.We even learned how to clean up the trigger group in an M1 Garand. We received special information about several important aspects of the gun that can cause you major problems and how to fix those problems before something bad happens to the gun.Just that was worth the price of the class.So if you ever thought about going to the class or had someone tell you it was not worth it they are very wrong.This is the only class in the United States that I am aware of that gives you a precise overview in a short period of time of this famous firearm.I would be more than happy to give you any information I can if you send me a line. Take the class. It is outstanding. By the way did you know the CMP custom shop is building some great reproduction rifles of the past the 1941 sniper, the Tanker Garand, and the USAF National Match Rifle. I was surprised that prices for repair and work is reasonable. GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE THANK YOU CHRIS.
Charlie Brown
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM

For your additional information on the AMC under the main website for the CMP under training and tech category the dates for the classes for the remaining of this year are there and the POC information is there. Take the class. You will be glad you did.
Charlie Brown
Old 03-15-2018, 06:33 AM

Aren't the classes already filled for 2018?
GCA Member

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, Walter Bennett, ed., Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republican, at 21,22,124 [Univ. of Alabama Press,1975])
Old 03-15-2018, 06:50 AM

Yes, they have registration and a lottery in the fall for the following year classes.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 AM
Banned

Cant echo his sentiments enough. Got a chance to do it with my son during the buddy class and it was a blast
Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 PM

This is great to hear. I'm headed to an AMC the first weekend in April. Really looking forward to it.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb36 View Post
Last weekend I had the pleasure of taking the AMC . Chris Hord the custom shop supervisor also taught the class. He did an outstanding job.There was so much information given to us during our time there that would be of great benefit to anyone who enjoys the M1 Garand. We got to build our own rifle. We picked our own parts and had to do all the things a custom rifle gunsmith would do to make the gun complete ready to shoot. Mark Johnson the CEO of the CMP spoke with us in our class and gave us all the latest and complete information on the 1911 pistols.We even learned how to clean up the trigger group in an M1 Garand. We received special information about several important aspects of the gun that can cause you major problems and how to fix those problems before something bad happens to the gun.Just that was worth the price of the class.So if you ever thought about going to the class or had someone tell you it was not worth it they are very wrong.This is the only class in the United States that I am aware of that gives you a precise overview in a short period of time of this famous firearm.I would be more than happy to give you any information I can if you send me a line. Take the class. It is outstanding. By the way did you know the CMP custom shop is building some great reproduction rifles of the past the 1941 sniper, the Tanker Garand, and the USAF National Match Rifle. I was surprised that prices for repair and work is reasonable. GREAT GROUP OF PEOPLE THANK YOU CHRIS.
Charlie Brown

I completely agree. I really enjoyed the early February class. My only regret was not spending enough time at the Marksmanship Park since I had to fly out that afternoon. The armory and warehouse tours were outstanding as well.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:04 AM

There was a question posted on ARFCOM that you can likely answer... or someone can answer!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_6/48...nd-choice.html

In there the poster said they could choose Field Grade or CMP Special.

Can you verify just what your options are and is the difference in used wood vs new, 30-06 vs 7.62, or anything else? I am really curious and I am not sure that the OP ever got advice that applies. Both options involve a new barrel, right?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2018, 06:28 AM

Choices are Field Grade Special or CMP Special. The difference between them is the condition of the receivers. Field grade will have pitting. All other components will be the same. When I took the class (last year) you did not have the choice of caliber. All were -06.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Your initial choice will be FG or CMP special receiver as noted by pkost. I was set on the CMP Special because I thought the level of pitting would be appreciable between the two options. In reality, there were a number of FG receivers that looked as good as the CMP level. We only had SA receivers to choose from in my class. Ultimately, I chose a CMP level receiver that looked the best to me and fit the receiver number range I wanted (1944 - 1945). There were no options in the barrel selection and stock selection. Everyone received a brand new Criterion 30-06 barrel and new Dupage wood.

Besides the receiver, you will have other parts selections to make during the class: bolt, trigger assembly housing and op rod. To prepare for this, read the many great posts on the AMC in this forum and prepare a build plan. To keep the class moving, you only have a few minutes to select your parts, and they don't lay out all of the parts at once. We chose the receiver and bolts at the same time. The other parts were made available during the progressive build over 2 days.