Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2018, 01:39 PM

Default Saturday CMP Visit

I took a little trip down to the South Store Saturday. I just thought I would let you guys know how that went. I'm not going to get too detailed with the inventory, as PH68 already has that expertly covered.
I was very fortunate to have a very uneventful and leisurely 3 1/2 hour drive down to Anniston. My wife and I left the house around 4 a.m., so traffic was not an issue. We arrived well before opening, and were the first customers there. By the time they opened the door, there were only 3 or 4 other customers waiting to go in. The racks were almost full, but inventory was not as fruitful as it had been 2 weeks before. I was interested in picking up one of the 6 million range SA's Tom had mentioned in his report, so I immediately headed in the direction of where I thought they would be. As Tom had said, there were 2 of them there. One looked significantly better than the other, so I snagged it up. Tom and I agreed that it looked almost un-issued since rebuild. I normally prefer USGI wood, but it had a very nice looking CMP Walnut stock wrapped around it. I searched through all the other rifles, but didn't find anything that really talked to me. I did see a fairly decent SA M1C with a replacement barrel (SA 53, I think), and a nice USGI stock. It was priced a little over $3K. It was rifle with scope mount only. As usual, the staff was very helpful, and just as nice as could be. Of course, that is ALWAYS appreciated. Since I didn't see anything else that peaked my interest, I went through the normal process to purchase my SA 6 million serial range, and then I headed over to the Talladega Marksmanship Park to see what they had to offer.
It was pretty deserted looking as I drove into the parking lot, and it was really quiet inside with only a handful of staff milling around. no one was in the pro-shop area where the M1 racks are located, but I asked a nearby staff member if it was okay for me to browse through the rifles, and of course they said it was. It appeared that they had not been re-stocked since the last time I was there 2 weeks prior. However, there were still some decent rifles there to choose from, quite a few of them being WRA's, and the balance being SA's. I don't recall seeing any IH's there, but I could be wrong. There were several WRA M1D's, but only one of them struck a fancy with me. The barrel and receiver looked great, but the stock was less than desirable. It appeared to be USGI Birch, but it was mis-matched with plenty of wear and a horribly worn buttplate. That's probably why it was still there. The only other ones there, that I feel are worth mentioning, were 2 SA's that were still holding onto their original barrels. One was a '44 and the other I cannot remember. I ended up purchasing the M1D I mentioned, and I'm glad I did. the more I pick it up, the more I like it. Like the South Store, the staff at the Talladega Marksmanship Park were very polite and very helpful. I'm attaching a couple of pics just in case you're interested.

Last edited by corpsman5; 05-28-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:16 PM

didn’t know about it. besides, already had other plans for the rest of the day.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Congrats on the nice pick ups.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubatwo View Post
Congrats on the nice pick ups.

thanks!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:33 AM

If that SA 6M was the 6052XXX one, I had given that one a good going over after the Adv Maintenance Class. It was flawless. Mike gave me his usual salesman pitch and I wanted to walk out with it, but I knew I just couldn't go home with three rifles in tow and still keep my marriage.

I had to let it go. And I've been thinking about it ever since.

I'm glad it has a good home!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:13 AM

Nice rifles.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryDoug View Post
If that SA 6M was the 6052XXX one, I had given that one a good going over after the Adv Maintenance Class. It was flawless. Mike gave me his usual salesman pitch and I wanted to walk out with it, but I knew I just couldn't go home with three rifles in tow and still keep my marriage.

I had to let it go. And I've been thinking about it ever since.

I'm glad it has a good home!
hate that you couldn't take that one home with you, but this one is 6085XXX. it's a nice one, though. thanks anyway!
Old 06-02-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1MAN View Post
Nice rifles.
thanks!
Old 06-03-2018, 12:44 AM

The first is a beaut. The second, it only needs a stock change if you decide you don't like the Birch. Either way, if it shoots good, then its golden.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Don View Post
The first is a beaut. The second, it only needs a stock change if you decide you don't like the Birch. Either way, if it shoots good, then its golden.
thanks! i'll probably eventually change the stock, but the lock-up is so good that I haven't wanted to change it yet.