Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM

Default Clarification on Rack Grade

The description on the Rack Grades states “Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.” Could we get a clarification on what types of “minor work” might be needed? Would it be as simple as changing out the aforementioned cracked grips, or would it be something like a broken spring or other small broken part? And if it the the latter, will the CMP tag the pistols with what type of work is needed?

I’m still going to take the best available if/when my number is called, but I just want to know what I might be getting into.

Thanks for all your great work so far!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:50 AM

I'm not CMP, but why?
They don't do this now. If they say all rack grades may need minor work... doesn't that cover enough?
All 1911s will include something like the current statement that they must be cleaned and inspected and lubed by a competent person before shooting, so given their goal of mass sales with minimum touch points why do any more?
No matter the grade shouldn't these be thoroughly inspected by the buyer?
What used firearm purchase includes an inspection report?
Get a rack grade. Expect to replace minor parts and perform minor work. If a spring is too major in someone's definition, call CMP and handle it then. If a rack grade needs a slide replaced, call CMP and handle it then.

Look at CMP's history in grading firearms and standing behind the customer based on the grade. And maybe less concern with hypotheticals? And maybe remember the are not sold as new?

I'm not a fanboy, but I do read. And I do have my own customer experiences.
JH
Old 06-13-2018, 08:03 AM

I highly doubt they will be totally stripping the pistols to inspect them. When they ship, the CMP probably won't know every problem with every pistol. It is up to the buyer to do that.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I think the OP has asked a valid question and I too would like to see a clarification of the term "issuable condition". Since a person would be spending $850 for a firearm sight unseen, I don't think his question is out of line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftycal2004 View Post
The description on the Rack Grades states “Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.” Could we get a clarification on what types of “minor work” might be needed? Would it be as simple as changing out the aforementioned cracked grips, or would it be something like a broken spring or other small broken part?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:55 AM

When has CMP ever done you wrong like intentionally sending you a gun with broken parts? My guess is cracked grips or other small cosmetic issues. Whatever grade you receive you should be stripping and inspecting it yourself or have a gunsmith do it. I would not fire a used gun right out of the box.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:33 AM

I’m asking for clarification because in the Rack Grade description for rifles, it specifically states “The rifles are rack grade (rough but functional and have been test fired).” Since this CMP 1911, and not the normal CMP, I feel its worth a clarification on if these pistols are inspected and repaired to operable/functional condition like the rifles, or if they are simply inspected, graded, and shipped.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 PM

Id think each Rack grade pistol would be different so it would be very hard to say exactly whats wrong with them
Old 06-13-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smal View Post
Id think each Rack grade pistol would be different so it would be very hard to say exactly whats wrong with them
Exactly. Plus grading is subjective and will vary from grader to grader.

Last edited by krdomingue; 06-13-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:17 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but “issuable” should mean that it fires&function correctly. It may not look too good, but it functions. It may rattle like crazy with a loose slide/barrel bushing, but it will shoot.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwenum View Post
Correct me if I’m wrong, but “issuable” should mean that it fires&function correctly. It may not look too good, but it functions. It may rattle like crazy with a loose slide/barrel bushing, but it will shoot.
There was an excellent post a while back that discussed how the Army classified M1 rifles for use. Some were issuable for stateside use, some were issuable for overseas, some required repair and rework. I believe ColB gave us that info, but may be incorrect; can't find the thread.

There were also various classifications of weapons sold to NRA members - some issueable; some not (but sold to NRA members anyway for a lesser price).

The CMP likely either has its own definition of the word (just like they make their own Grade designations that apply only to CMP rifles, but change over time), or they are using grading criteria developed by the Army for overhaul and issue of pistols.

It would be useful to get this information straight from Mark (very knowledgeable on 1911s) or CMP1911admin. Customer made up and wishful thinking definitions are NOT what the CMP will be using, I think.

"Life is Good!"