Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Military ID in Packet

The order form states that a copy of a military ID suffices for establishing US citizenship, membership in an Affiliated Organization, and proof of marksmanship activity. However, copying a military ID is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701. Would a current copy of an LES or ERB/ORB suffice instead?

Edit: Alternatively, is there something in law or regulation, that allows IDs to be copied for the CMP?

Last edited by bradwh; 06-15-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:23 AM

This is my opinion and my opinion alone. The word “colorable” is often left out when considering the USC and there are exceptions for government agencies. The CMP itself isn’t a government agency but is required to play by the rules laid out by several government agencies to conduct business. The Army, Congress, and the ATF.

You also have to consider the DODI which reads;

6.1.7. Any person willfully altering, damaging, lending, counterfeiting, or using these cards in any unauthorized manner is subject to fine or imprisonment or both, as prescribed by Sections 499, 506, 509, 701, or 1001 of 18 U.S.C. (reference (l))1 . Section 701 of 18 U.S.C., of reference (l), prohibits photographing or otherwise reproducing or possessing Uniformed Services ID cards in an unauthorized manner, under penalty of fine or imprisonment or both. Unauthorized or fraudulent use of the DD Form 2, DD Form 1173, or the DD Form 1173-1 would exist, if a bearer uses the card in a manner that would enable the bearer to obtain benefits and privileges to which he or she is not entitled. Photocopying of the DD Forms 2, DD Form 1173, or DD Form 1173-1 to facilitate medical care processing, check cashing, or administering other military-related benefits to eligible beneficiaries are examples of authorized photocopying.

Would this not fall under “other military-related benefits”?

If I knew any JAG officers or had one local I would present this for clarification.

Last edited by Quicksilvergoat; 06-14-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:41 AM

Oops...

Looks like I've been violating those particular mil regs ever since I started doin' business with the CMP back in '97!!!

Leavenworth here I come (lookin' forward to those three hots & a cot)!!!

Shame on me!!!

Last edited by DDRode; 06-15-2018 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Blank out your face and you're fine. I only do this for organizations I trust...and CMP is one of them.

If you don't want to do it, then I would call and ask for other options to prove military service. WAYYY more info on your Record Brief that I wouldn't want to be passing out.

Last edited by brianm423; 06-14-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:29 PM

"except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law".
After complying with every requirement pertaining to the sale of these pistols, it's possible the CMP has received permission to accept a copy of military ID.

Dave
Old 06-14-2018, 05:23 PM

I asked this over in the regular Ask CMP forum. One of the admins said that they'd take any reasonable proof (Like an LES, ERB/ORB, or Current copy of orders)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
"except as authorized under regulations made pursuant to law".
After complying with every requirement pertaining to the sale of these pistols, it's possible the CMP has received permission to accept a copy of military ID.
Good point. I edited my original post to reflect that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawhiskey View Post
I asked this over in the regular Ask CMP forum. One of the admins said that they'd take any reasonable proof (Like an LES, ERB/ORB, or Current copy of orders)
Do you know where that response was? I couldn't find it.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Here is the thread he posted to. He is the #3 post but will have to read through it to find responses to his question.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=228307
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwh View Post
The order form states that a copy of a military ID suffices for establishing US citizenship, membership in an Affiliated Organization, and proof of marksmanship activity. However, copying a military ID is a violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701. Would a current copy of an LES or ERB/ORB suffice instead?

Edit: Alternatively, is there something in law or regulation, that allows IDs to be copied for the CMP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Here is the thread he posted to. He is the #3 post but will have to read through it to find responses to his question.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=228307

bradwh,
To answer your first question, yes, copies of your DD214, LES, or PCS Orders would suffice in lieu of copying your military ID/CAC.

As far as second question, I will see if I can get an answer to that one.

As Shomway mentions, it was brought up in that thread; however, none of the admins or customer service answered it as previously cited...only other members confirming they have used some of the above items to verify military service.

Which segues to next point, not specific to you or Shomway (who has been great responding to folks here), but in general and posted elsewhere:

ETA: As a notice to everyone so as not to take it personal, will be going through the various threads here and in the 1911 section over next couple of days to clean up all the chaff and supposition posts...entirely too much heat and little light, with same questions getting asked/answered multiple times but lost in the static.
Will edit/provide answers directly from CMP where applicable as they simply don't have the time to monitor and keep up with all this.

Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 AM

Default Military ID

Hopefully, I can clear some of this up, If you do not wish to send a copy of your Military ID Card with your packet you have the following options:

1. A copy of you current orders, with name and rank/ current LES. If E-5 or above works for everything, If below E-5 must include proof of Citizenship.

2. Copy of DD 214 (NON-RETIRED)will only work for "Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity. It will also work for proof of Citizenship" if it lists "Place of Birth", Place of Entry does not count. It does not work for Club Membership.

3. Copy of DD 214 (RETIRED) If E-5 and above works for everything, if below E-5 needs proof of Citizenship.

I hope this makes things a little clearer.