Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Shoot it or, not?
SHOOT 108 96.43%
DON'T SHOOT 4 3.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2019, 07:28 PM

Pretty much a personal decision. In reality if it is not a pristine, unfired, rare specimen there is no reason not to fire it. If, and when they get to my number, I will most likely fire whatever pistol I receive. I’m sure it will not be fired a lot, but it would be difficult to resist giving it a little exercise now and then.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Shoot!!!!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:50 AM

My answer isnít a yes or a no but something different; I was lucky enough to get one of the Colt 1911 museum pistols with the matching slide and frame. The rub; the WWI era slides are prone to cracking. Instead of shooting it as is, I purchased a post-WWII Colt USGI slide, had a gunsmith check it out, install and adjust a new USGI extractor (thank you Numrich) and I can shoot it without fear of damaging the originality of the gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormeaston View Post
Shoot!!!!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:55 PM

I view these old pistols and old guns in general like old collector cars, like a Ford Model T or Model A. They are cool to own as pieces of history. You can drive them occasionally to car shows or similar events.

But would I use one as a daily driver or to commute to work or to go shopping or tow a trailer? No. Modern vehicles are better suited for that. There have been many improvements in vehicles since the Model T and Model A days.

Likewise there have been many improvements in handguns since 1911. There are modern handguns available that have higher magazine capacity, better sights, are smaller and lighter, more corrosion resistant, more reliable, more accurate, etc. As a shooter, a 75-100 year old pistol isn't going to have any advantages over a modern pistol.

Even if you want to limit discussion to the 1911 design, a new 1911 is going to be a better shooter than a 75-100 year old ex-military pistol.
  • better metallurgy and heat treatment
  • availability of corrosion resistant stainless steel for slides, barrels, and frames
  • much better sights
  • lowered ejection port
  • ambidextrous safeties
  • enlarged beavertail and grip safety pad
  • undercut trigger guard
  • checkered front strap
  • flared magazine well
  • front slide serrations
  • full length guide rod

I have several M1911s and M1911A1s, but I have them mostly as collector pieces that I'll shoot once or twice a year. But if I want to shoot a 1911 this modern 1911 is better as a shooter:

not to mention all of the other modern pistols that are more accurate, more reliable, have higher capacity, are lighter to carry, etc. than even a modern 1911. I love 1911s, I own more of them than any other pistol type, but I'm not blind to their limitations.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:02 PM

IMHO, I received a very nice rebuilt pistol. I put about a 100 rounds through it with zero malfuctions. Not too bad for a pistol made during WW II and rebuilt in 1977. I was actually amazed that it functioned that well and was pretty accurate.

I probably will not shoot it often, but will shoot it again in the future.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
I view these old pistols and old guns in general like old collector cars, like a Ford Model T or Model A. They are cool to own as pieces of history. You can drive them occasionally to car shows or similar events.

But would I use one as a daily driver or to commute to work or to go shopping or tow a trailer? No. Modern vehicles are better suited for that. There have been many improvements in vehicles since the Model T and Model A days.

Likewise there have been many improvements in handguns since 1911. There are modern handguns available that have higher magazine capacity, better sights, are smaller and lighter, more corrosion resistant, more reliable, more accurate, etc. As a shooter, a 75-100 year old pistol isn't going to have any advantages over a modern pistol.

Even if you want to limit discussion to the 1911 design, a new 1911 is going to be a better shooter than a 75-100 year old ex-military pistol.
  • better metallurgy and heat treatment
  • availability of corrosion resistant stainless steel for slides, barrels, and frames
  • much better sights
  • lowered ejection port
  • ambidextrous safeties
  • enlarged beavertail and grip safety pad
  • undercut trigger guard
  • checkered front strap
  • flared magazine well
  • front slide serrations
  • full length guide rod

I have several M1911s and M1911A1s, but I have them mostly as collector pieces that I'll shoot once or twice a year. But if I want to shoot a 1911 this modern 1911 is better as a shooter:

not to mention all of the other modern pistols that are more accurate, more reliable, have higher capacity, are lighter to carry, etc. than even a modern 1911. I love 1911s, I own more of them than any other pistol type, but I'm not blind to their limitations.
Really like Milsurp’s thought process, and probably am most aligned with it, and also agree it is a personal decision and everybody is different.
Some people might like driving that T to work every day, because they get to think of all the places it has been in its life and picture themselves as part of its history, and not mind foregoing all the modern creature comforts. Others will think that’s nuts because there is no AC or antilock brakes!