Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Default New Guy Help

I'm new to the CMP and civilian shooting, I have been shooting combat Rifle and Pistol matches in the Army for a while now but just transitioned over to the Service Rifle. Found a few ranges and clubs that host matches that I know I can shoot. But I don't know what other matches I can shoot in or should be shooting in with a Service Rifle. Trying to prepare myself as best as I can for JULY, intentions are to go to Camp Perry and shoot in the Presidents 100 match and the National Trophy Match.

I know about the EIC Matches and the 800/1000 agg matches. What else is there?

And what is the CMP CUP?

any help would be grateful!

Russell
Old 02-06-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteague77 View Post
I'm new to the CMP and civilian shooting, I have been shooting combat Rifle and Pistol matches in the Army for a while now but just transitioned over to the Service Rifle. Found a few ranges and clubs that host matches that I know I can shoot. But I don't know what other matches I can shoot in or should be shooting in with a Service Rifle. Trying to prepare myself as best as I can for JULY, intentions are to go to Camp Perry and shoot in the Presidents 100 match and the National Trophy Match.

I know about the EIC Matches and the 800/1000 agg matches. What else is there?

And what is the CMP CUP?

any help would be grateful!

Russell
Russell, where are you located?

CMP cup matches are just regular high power matches like the the regular 800/1000 agg matches you mentioned. They are just held on a larger scale by CMP at their travel games and prior to the national matches @ Perry.

Look for reduced course high power matches in your area. These will be fired from one distance for all stages but the targets will reduce scoring ring sizes as stages progress (prone stages) to simulate 300 and 600 yards. The aiming black remains roughly the same size.

If you are new I wouldn’t be afraid to find a CMP games match near you either to attend. Tell them you are new and just want to get some experience. The course of fire will be reversed and all stages fired on the same target. The target is generous for a service rifle for Prone stages.

You can also fire in NRA mid range prone matches. These will either be fired all from 600 yards (commonly referred to as a 3X600) or the real mid range course used, 300, 500, 600 yards. 20 shots + sighting shots at each yard line. You will fire on 600 yard reduced targets for the closer distances (MR63, MR65)

Hope that helps you out.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 PM

Rootsy thanks for the info.
I’m in Arkansas, not much for clubs around here that actually shoot.

Have to travel to Memphis, TN or Tulsa, OK to shoot. Both of which are several hours away.
Memphis has a mid range match once a month and a XTC match once a month. But I think they are mainly NRA not CMP.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteague77 View Post
Rootsy thanks for the info.
I’m in Arkansas, not much for clubs around here that actually shoot.

Have to travel to Memphis, TN or Tulsa, OK to shoot. Both of which are several hours away.
Memphis has a mid range match once a month and a XTC match once a month. But I think they are mainly NRA not CMP.
If you are coming to Perry for the P100 & NTI I would take a few extra days and register for SAFS too.

Hopefully someone in your area can help you out with opportunities. Have you looked at the CMP competition tracker? Http://ct.thecmp.org
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 PM

I would take it a step further and say that I would rate SAFS as more important than P100 and NTI for experience.
DPS 4/30
Old 02-08-2019, 09:20 AM

If you're still active duty Army, SAFS participation is not authorized.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Where are you in Arkansas?

https://ngmtc.wordpress.com/

https://www.facebook.com/NGMTC/

The National Guard Marksmanship Training unit is located on Camp Robinson, outside of Little Rock. If you are in the national guard, contact them. According to the CMP, there are at least four vintage sniper, Garand matches in your state. They are fun if you like vintage stuff and handy for practicing the skills of highpower.