Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM

Default GI wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
I know Tim and Eaglekeeper appreaciate USGI walnut.
That's an understatement for me.

eaglekeeper
Old 09-20-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiller View Post
I look at it this way, Do you want a goodlooking girl to have a new dress or not. in the end, it doesn't matter how does it shoot.
Matters to me. I can buy a White Oak NM AR15A2 that'll shoot circles around an M1, so it's not just about shooting. To me it's the history and nostalgic feelings surrounding who used these rifles. The quality and craftmanship. Boyds walnut does not speak middle 20th Century US craftmanship like old-growth forest USGI walnut. Like comparing a Rolls Royce and a Kia. Both will go 60 MPH. One just looks better doing it.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Matters to me. I can buy a White Oak NM AR15A2 that'll shoot circles around an M1, so it's not just about shooting. To me it's the history and nostalgic feelings surrounding who used these rifles. The quality and craftmanship. Boyds walnut does not speak middle 20th Century US craftmanship like old-growth forest USGI walnut. Like comparing a Rolls Royce and a Kia. Both will go 60 MPH. One just looks better doing it.
It would be like comparing a 1950 Rolls Royce with a 2012 Rolls Royce, not a Kia. To some that do not place your feelings on a piece of wood, new wood is just fine, and in some cases looks better.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:14 PM

I agree....merely personal preference. If you were around when it was plentiful and superb quality it is difficult perhaps to go with aftermarket wood.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I agree....merely personal preference. If you were around when it was plentiful and superb quality it is difficult perhaps to go with aftermarket wood.
Another point is, the USGI wood from a couple years ago was dense old growth and still very much arsenal quality...even after years of storage.

Today, I would most certianly pick a new stock if needed for the sake of accuracy, over form. Form is nice, but the girl has to have a brain too.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I was around when at the Nationals the DCM had tri-walls of stocks hundred maybe thousands from captain crunch for 5.00 with metal, I purchased all I could haul, even had them on the dash some were new replacements some were WWII , those were the days.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 AM

I prefer vintage wood, but only if it is in great shape. My favorite Garand has a new stock that I gunny pasted and put on.