Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Upcoming visit

I have a trip to the South Store planned for the second week of October, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can from the forums so I can at least pretend like I have some idea about what I'm doing. I have a couple of questions.

Judging from some of the recent store reports, it seems like there's little chance of finding a service grade rifle with a WWII-era receiver. Is this correct?

As for field grade, what is the difference in accuracy? I'm aware that lower numbers are better when it comes to ME/TE ratings, but the scale is little more than an abstract number in my uninformed mind.

Finally, is there a book you could recommend for this first-timer? I've seen that there's one advertised on the CMP website, and I believe there's another produced by the Garand Collectors Association.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:46 PM

get ready for some sensory overload. I have been 4 times and still get it.

You never really know what they will put out on the floor until you get there. On 2 of my trips there were no SG at all. One time there were no WWII's but the last trip more than half of the SG's were WWII. As far as MW and TE, just find the lowest you can. Although I have a FG Winney with a VAR barrel that shoots lights out and it has a TE of 4 and a MW of 3.

Good luck with your trip. Find the all-knowing Leon and ask him. He won't steer you wrong.

Fortes Fortuna juvat

2nd Bn, 3rd Marines

Buy now worry about later, later.--Bob Moore, 12/10

My feedback thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=dstout 50+ positives before it was destroyed
Old 09-27-2012, 02:57 PM

Leon and Mike are the best. All you need to do is to ask for help.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM

5 of us are flying down from Missouri that week and will be at the store bright and early Wednesday morning before we fly back home. We will all be wearing our green Owensville Gun Club shirts and we will be happy to help out a First Timer. Leon is great and would take care of you but he will be in AZ for the Western Games that week.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jim View Post
5 of us are flying down from Missouri that week and will be at the store bright and early Wednesday morning before we fly back home. We will all be wearing our green Owensville Gun Club shirts and we will be happy to help out a First Timer. Leon is great and would take care of you but he will be in AZ for the Western Games that week.
Thanks a bunch for the offer; I think I'll take you up on it. I'm working on my hierarchy of wants. Definitely feel free to hand me off or say, "Scram, new guy! I need to do my own rack-perusing!"
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM

As I said, happy to help out a newbi as we were all one at some point in time. PM me on what you are looking for and we can discuss options before we get there and have a better idea of what you really want. The FIRST ONE is always special and my first one was 35 years ago and she still sits in my safe!!!!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Jerz8, what day will you be there? Daffy and I are planning a trip on Thursday 10/11.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennboy View Post
Jerz8, what day will you be there? Daffy and I are planning a trip on Thursday 10/11.
Dang, I'll be there the day before, Wednesday the 10th. But Just Jim has graciously offered his guidance.