Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_81 View Post
There is a bit about National Postal Meter in this pdf: http://www.rochester.lib.ny.us/~roch...2004/v66i1.pdf
Thanks, also found this to complete the listing. Still no hard evidence on Quality Hardware...anyone?
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 PM

It looks like Quality was also involved with the bomb. http://www.lm.doe.gov/Considered_Sit...o_-_IL_11.aspx
Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler_81 View Post
It looks like Quality was also involved with the bomb. http://www.lm.doe.gov/Considered_Sit...o_-_IL_11.aspx
Interesting. I take that to mean that they either didn't handle much nuclear material, or they handled it well enough to not contaminate their site.

Or...they just buried it deep enough, or dumped it somewhere else...
Old 11-10-2010, 09:53 PM

Googling the address for Quality Hardware, it looks like their manufacturing plant at 5823 Ravenswood, Chicago, is now upscale loft condos, FWIW. At some point prior to that, Marden Manufacturing used the address; they seem to be the makers of office furniture.

Last edited by dpd3672; 11-10-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:13 PM

Boiler_81...you're a research machine, thanks!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 AM

Sorry but you are mistaken about Standard Products. The company you are referencing, SMP, is an auto parts manufacturer from Canada. Standard Products was founded around 1930 By Dr. James Sims Reid. He was a physician turned inventor and his first automotive invention was an improved gas cap for automobiles which he marketed thru his own Easy-on-Cap Co which he sold to Eaton Axle Co. His experiments with steel tape led to patents for flexible window channels to ease the opening and closing of automobile windows.

The company branched out to other automotive products. During WWII Standard Products received a contract to produce M-1 Carbines. By 1954, all cars made in the U.S. contained at least one of Standard's products, and some had as many as fifty. In 1962, James R. Reid, jr. assumed control of the company from his father and ushered it through a period of continued expansion that lasted into the 1990s.

In 1996, the company's sales reached $1.08 billion. In 1997, James S. Reid, jr. was replaced by Ronald L. Roudebush as Chief Executive Officer and Vice Chairman of the company. In 1999, Findlay, Ohio-based tire maker Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. purchased Standard Products for $757.4 million in stock and an assumption of Standard's debt. A combination of manufacturing and licensing arrangements has allowed Standard Products to be involved with almost every automobile on the road. Its products appear on more than 100 car, van, and light truck models manufactured worldwide.

Even though Cooper has operations in China, they are still a United States owned company, Thank God. I hope they hang in there.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:59 AM

what a great write up. thanks for sharing.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperbob View Post
Sorry but you are mistaken about Standard Products. The company you are referencing, SMP, is an auto parts manufacturer from Canada. Standard Products was founded around 1930 By Dr. James Sims Reid. He was a physician turned inventor and his first automotive invention was an improved gas cap for automobiles which he marketed thru his own Easy-on-Cap Co which he sold to Eaton Axle Co. His experiments with steel tape led to patents for flexible window channels to ease the opening and closing of automobile windows.

The company branched out to other automotive products. During WWII Standard Products received a contract to produce M-1 Carbines. By 1954, all cars made in the U.S. contained at least one of Standard's products, and some had as many as fifty. In 1962, James R. Reid, jr. assumed control of the company from his father and ushered it through a period of continued expansion that lasted into the 1990s.

In 1996, the company's sales reached $1.08 billion. In 1997, James S. Reid, jr. was replaced by Ronald L. Roudebush as Chief Executive Officer and Vice Chairman of the company. In 1999, Findlay, Ohio-based tire maker Cooper Tire and Rubber Co. purchased Standard Products for $757.4 million in stock and an assumption of Standard's debt. A combination of manufacturing and licensing arrangements has allowed Standard Products to be involved with almost every automobile on the road. Its products appear on more than 100 car, van, and light truck models manufactured worldwide.

Even though Cooper has operations in China, they are still a United States owned company, Thank God. I hope they hang in there.
If it's OK with you, I've added this to the OP.

Last edited by dpd3672; 11-11-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:19 PM

You bet. Thanks for all your hard work. I know it wasn't easy because I had read this before and it took me some time to relocate it. Good on you.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 PM

So far this has been one hell of a thread!!!! I hope in the next update of one of the carbine "books" this info is included. Great work from the OP and all the others that have added to it.
If TGIM doesn't make this a sticky ... !!!???

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA