Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2012, 08:18 PM

Yes there is that!!
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Yeah sorry I had it backwards.I of course meant it was a Quality housing originally that would have been sent to Rock Ola for their use and Rock Ola would have restamped it with their name over the Q markings...Thanks

Last edited by carbineone; 04-12-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the great pics.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 AM

Thanks for sharing such a nice Rock-Ola!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the comments and your welcome for all the pictures! I figured its a Rock-Ola TH but i didnt know who made it. Heres the thing: "ROCK-OLA" was stamped in the housing FIRST with "Q-NL" stamped OVER it. I though that Rock-ola probably sent the housing to Quality Hardware because of a shortage. Then Quality Hardware sent it back to Rock-ola because they had a shortage. Im really not sure but its strange that everything is Rock-Ola but the TH is such an odd one out. Its first stamped with "ROCK-OLA" but then "Q-NL" stamped over it. if its all Rock-Ola, why stamp it twice?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

One thing about Rock-ola and Quality Hardware parts that you have to remember is both companies were in Chicago, IL so they probably did a lot of trading parts back and forth as well as helping each other out when shortages threated to shut down assembly at one plant or the other. It didn't take any long distance transport, just put the parts in the trunk of a car and drive them across town. I bet there was more of that between those two companies than is officially recorded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Adam View Post
Thanks for the comments and your welcome for all the pictures! I figured its a Rock-Ola TH but i didnt know who made it. Heres the thing: "ROCK-OLA" was stamped in the housing FIRST with "Q-NL" stamped OVER it. I though that Rock-ola probably sent the housing to Quality Hardware because of a shortage. Then Quality Hardware sent it back to Rock-ola because they had a shortage. Im really not sure but its strange that everything is Rock-Ola but the TH is such an odd one out. Its first stamped with "ROCK-OLA" but then "Q-NL" stamped over it. if its all Rock-Ola, why stamp it twice?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:39 AM

rockola like stamping other peoples parts, they stamped the Inland receivers they got, they put R stamps on the recoil, the sear, and Inland slides they used so would make logic they would over stamp the trigger houses they used, they also liked putting X's on parts, on the other hand what parts have you seen on a original looking QHMC that were overstamped? I am not saying the R are overstamps. Rockola did not use much unmarked stuff

Last edited by wtmr; 04-14-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Completely agree. On the 1.72 Rock-Ola in the collection, clearly has a Saginaw front sight (channel behind the front sight blade) but has the familiar Rock staking on the sight pin and is marked with an R on the front face that is the same size and font used on the extractor.

However a local friend that received a 6 million Rock-Ola Bavarian recently, had a type 2 band marked with a single / and a unmarked type 2 front sight with it's correct Rock-Ola staking on the pin. Other than the rotary safety and German refinish, this carbine appeared to be original.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 PM

Ill try to take a better picture of the stampings to show better detail. Its hard to see but you can tell that ROCK-OLA got stamped over. I bet that it was an issue of just filling orders and sending parts back and forth, so I can see Q-NL being stamped over the original ROCK-OLA stamp. But when it got sent back, why wasn't Q-NL "X"ed out or lined out then restamped ROCK-OLA? My guess is that sense it was already marked Rock-Ola, why remark it a third time. But thats just a guess. Whats the visual difference between Rock-Ola TH and Q-NL TH?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:33 PM

the Q-NL is correctly located. the Rockola is in left field so to say which immediately tends one to think its a Q-NL that got shipped to rockola