Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 05:19 PM

Default Store report 9-15

I made a SS trip this weekend to pick up my brass. There was 4 people in line when I got there around 7AM. Maybe 15 or so when the store opened. Leon opened the door and it was on. Mr. O was standing behind the counter with Leon and Sly looking much like a Captain running a ship. A well run ship. The attention was on the service grade Springfields. There is 1/2 of a rack of them, 2 high, against the wall. There was another 1/2 rack on the floor just in front of them. On opening, exactly 1 had GI wood on it. Everything else was the new wood. Rifles seemed to be be in good shape. There was some AFPG in the mix. I saw several of these bought. There was some with NM marked barrels. Sly reloaded the rack of service grades mid-morning and my wife said it looked like a bunch of bucks following a doe in heat as everyone was on his heels as he walked to the rack with a basket of rifles. I saw exactly one with GI wood in that pile. It went quick.
There were no HRA service grades still. There were field grades of HRA and Springfield available. Some of them with pretty good barrels. All of these have what looked like GI wood. But keep in mind, it was field grade wood. A lot of them are DOD marked.
M1C's and D's are still there. Service grade specials are there and they are really nice. There was a wall rack of barreled receivers with bolts that looked really good for those of you with plenty of parts to finish one. There was 4 maybe 5 Krags on the wall. Chrome and/or cutdown is the word on them.
There was still brass for sale at the store. Plenty of bayonets left. A few Mann devices and some scant 03A3/03 stocks pretty much sums it up. (There were some receivers in the glass case, M1 type.)
Leon and I talked for a while after the initial rush. He helped several folks with what was their first Garand. What can I say, Leon was just being Leon. He is always helpful, friendly and courteous. Everyone here has either met Leon or heard about him. He is a "Legend" of the South Store.
A person you do not hear a lot about is Sly. He also is behind the counter with Leon at the SS. Let me take a minute and say that Sly is everything you could ask for at that store. Friendly and helpful does not even begin to describe this man. I told him Sat, but would like to say again, a personal Thank you.
The ladies in the office were just as friendly as I remembered from last time. All in all a really good place to spend a Sat morning.

OK, the wife just reminded me to say thank you to Ms. Vicki for the homemade ice cream that was shared. I did not get any, too busy with the rifle hunt. Found out later that Leon only passed it out to the ladies. Imagine that. LOL.

Last edited by lennnorment; 09-17-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennnorment View Post
...it looked like a bunch of bucks following a doe in heat as everyone was on his heels as he walked to the rack with a basket of rifles....
LOL....I've seen the same when I went to the SS on a Wednesday once. I go on Thursdays now just to avoid the predators. Good report, thanks.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:33 PM

What is AFPG? I have just recently seen this in post.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Air Force Premium Grade..USAF built match rifles built at Lackland AFB in the Small arms shop
Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budmant View Post
Air Force Premium Grade..USAF built match rifles built at Lackland AFB in the Small arms shop
CMP is not offering papered genuine match grade rifles....just service grades with some match parts. It may be cool to have a rifle with a few match grade parts, but without papers it is still a service grade and valued accordingly.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the great report lennnorment. Sounds like a really poor selection of service grades lately.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM

Gordon....I did not mean to infer they were poor rifles. Just the contrary, the rifles were in great shape. A lot measured 1M 2T and had great finish. The wood was just new manufactured. I am probably just spoiled from previous trips. I spoke with a gentleman there who said he only lived 4 minutes away and came VERY often to peruse the offerings. Imagine what his standards would be to buy a rifle.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

I live about an hour away and I bought my first M1 sg with a NM barrel. I have been to the store 3 times now and if I could I would live in the store. I think every M1 Garand fan should visit the store once in thier life.

The staff is fantastic, which makes the customer even more happier. It is always pleasent to spend time at the store. Some customers would never be so open to discusion at any other place but CMP SS has special meaning and we all become little childeren again! The atmosphere is fantastic. Its amazing what American history can do to us.

Thank you South Store!

V/R
Sgt Rock
"Engineers Lead The Way"
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM

Great update. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 AM

I'd like to obtain a AFPG if possible. What are they priced?