Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 PM

Default Store report 9-20-2012

Got to the South Store with donuts about 0715. Two of us in line when the store opened at about 0740.

I was looking for SGs with NM or APFG barrels; the really nice guy for North Carolina (I am really embarrassed that I can't remember his name ) was looking for his first Garand.

Since I really like helping new Garandeers, I showed him the differences, or lack thereof, between the various grades. He decided that a Service Grade was the way to go.

The store had been relatively well picked over on Wednesday; lots of holes in the SA SG racks. I persuaded Leon (the donuts helped) to bring out some more rifles.

There were roughly twelve to fifteen SA SGs with NM barrels, of the new set a number had MW of ~1 and TE ~2. I helped pick out a really nice one to go to North Carolina. None of the really nice SGs with the NM barrels had USGI wood.

No rifles on the floor (that I saw) with AFPG barrels.

Other than that, a lot of FG SAs and HRAs, nothing that jumped out at me. Some nice SG, FG, and RG M1Ds and M1Cs, but nothing I needed.

Four Krags, all chromed. No other bolt actions I saw except for three Mann Devices.

A full set (~20) of SA barrelled receivers, some six digit, no five digit. Nice to build rifles from, if the SN is right and you have the parts.

A bunch of bayonets, a mix of types, come get them if you need one. Full length 16", 10" cut downs, uncut 10", M5A1, etc.

Great staff, of course.

They still have the 410 ammo at the Store. I had e-ordered mine, so picked it up at the warehouse.

"Life is Good!"
Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Banned

It seems that they have had more than a hand full of SG rifles with NM barrels and or NM parts. I like the new CMP stocks but it would be nice to see some with GI issue furniture in fairly good shape.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago but with old furniture. I think it was Greek made because it was a little rough from milling and Greek letters under the butt plate. I am in the process of refinishing it. It is looking very nice. I will post pics when I am done.

V/R
Sgt Rock
"Engineers Lead The Way"
Old 09-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Great report steelap. How many of the service grades had USGI wood?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 AM

Steelap, great report.

Sir, I think it was you that helped me (along with CMP Mike) last April pickout my first M1. I don't think I ever properly thanked you. It's been super great. I shoot it monthly at cmp/nra matches at the local range... Now if I can only get my old eyes to match my rifle's potential....

Thank you again for your help. Hope to see you (and with your donuts) in line again...maybe in nov when I go track down a m1 for my son.

Best Regards,

RCO6
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the report.

BTW, not me but all the CMP guys from North Carolina are straight shooters.
Quote:
the really nice guy for North Carolina (I am really embarrassed that I can't remember his name )
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 AM

I'm curious. Everyone takes donuts to the stores. I have been at both stores over the years and all the folks who work there seem to be in pretty good shape. How do they do that with all those donuts?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho View Post
I'm curious. Everyone takes donuts to the stores. I have been at both stores over the years and all the folks who work there seem to be in pretty good shape. How do they do that with all those donuts?
Leon throws himself on the donuts to save the others.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM

A couple months back Leon had some testing done of the medical/physical type, and the day after his follow-up visit with the Doc he was really bummed.... based on his bloodwork results he was being limited to only three sausage biscuits and six donuts! 'Course, that was only before lunch and he was pretty sure he could make up the difference between lunchtime and quitting time.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 AM

I have driven all the way to AL to have them free donuts in the store a few times. Ya'll keep bringin' em. 5'9" 156, I need all the help I can get.