Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Default Question Re: mail order

I recently sent in a mail order and was considering rescinding the order and making the trip out to Anniston from ATL. All of the requisite information was included with the mail order (marksmanship, notarized form, club membership, etc). If I go to the Anniston store after they receive the order, do I need duplicates of all that?
Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 PM

I would take duplicates just in case. Not worth the trip to leave empty handed or not being able to pick out a rifle and get some ammo.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks.

I'll get it filled out again this weekend, I guess. Figure since it's a grad gift to myself I should pick out a decent one rather than luck, particularly since I knew of none of the tricks to getting a good one, plus forgot ammo and gas wrench.

I'm kicking myself for not photocopying the forms before sending...

I'm not very good at waiting.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM

You are only 88 miles from Anniston. If I was that close I'd never mail order. Give the customer service people a call to stop your order and ask if you need to re do all the paper work or if what they have in hand will suffice.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka108 View Post
You are only 88 miles from Anniston. If I was that close I'd never mail order. Give the customer service people a call to stop your order and ask if you need to re do all the paper work or if what they have in hand will suffice.
Yeah, I didn't delve into the forums or research enough and see that you could go and pick up in person. I've fired off an e-mail since they seem to reply to those rather quick and my hours for work are all over the place right now. Live and learn...now just to avoid the addiction to them.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Remember, it is 9% tax to walk out the door, so you may ask the SS to ship it to you for the regular $22 whatever, generally cheaper. And ask about the ammo, sometimes the 9% is cheaper than the shipping. They will accommodate you and gladly answer any shipping questions, it is normal to work with the customers to get the best combination of price VS "immediate satisfaction"!
A $600 Garand will be taxed $54, but if you gotta have it that day, it's probably worth the $31.....
JH
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 PM

ZvenoMan is right about shipping vs. picking up. Sales tax has actually gone up to 10% if you buy and pick up in the store...so $62.50 in tax for a SG. Shipping is $24.95 via FEDEX and if they ship on Monday I have it on Tuesday. The ammo is basically a wash if I recall correctly so I usually haul it back with me. I agree totally with aka 108. You are close to the SS. I live approx 120 miles from Anniston and I try to make a trip at least once a month.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM

I live 6 hrs from the SS and the best rifles I have ever recieved were via mail order. Ive done well at the stores but, my odds are beteer with the luck of the draw.

In fact, Ive been skunked at the store several times. Pros can cull the rack like locust, leaving little for the average guy.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the advice, all.

Already postponed the order until I can get out there. As for shipping, it'll honestly depend on what day I get out there. I'm already figuring ammo, en blocs and other stuff will come back with me. As for the rifle, see what happens and makes sense (I'd like a weekend day to detail strip and clean so I can focus on it).

Anyway, call it wanting a little nostalgia or memory of this rifle. It's my grad gift to myself, and sounds like there's only so many left.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM

10%, that's as bad as here in Birmingham.
They will be able to tell you what day it will ship out (it usually is the next business day but sometimes they get backed up), and they can always hold it to ship on a specific day.
Nice thing about picking one out is not only can you simply pass if nothing jumps out, but there is always a customer or two who are pretty much experts and willing to help, and of course the store staff will assist as they have time.
I probably should update my forms to ship to my parents in GA to save some $$ but whenever I'm there I succumb to the "gotta get it home to clean and inspect" dark side.
Bottom line is the store will ship or pack to walk out, and are happy to assist you in making your best decision for the day, mood and level of cosmolienitis you have. From my store days when volunteering I would guess that less than 50% have the rifles shipped, and of those 25% ask to ship on a specific date (instead of the next shipping day); the store is setup to do all those with no extra work so don't be afraid to ask. If they can, they will, if not they will simply tell you they can't but here is what we can do.....
A trip to the store where you decide not to purchase a rifle is still a pretty good day. It's about 60 miles one way for me, and I look at the "cost per hour of entertainment" and have no problems with a "no new rifle" trip. But, I generally seem to "buy something" to make me feel like the trip had some purchase. The CMP coffee mugs are really nice!
Talking about it has me worked up; I gues I'll have to visit next week. Any comments on the Atomic Ammo .308?
JH