Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Heck yeah....especially a correct 56 NM barrel. Any NM barrel with a pristine bore and MW=1.0 or less is very cool indeed. Many of us are competitive shooters and to think your rifle was purpose built for this enterprise is the reason I woke up at 4AM this morning, had my wife switch work days, and drove 100 MPH back to Emory for a meeting at 1PM. It was a huge hassle, but worth every bit of the trouble.

Also saw a few with pristine LMR 53 barrels.
Great news, hammonje. Hopefully I make the mail order cut, I see they received my order 10/9 at 1:43 p.m., and I'll sweat it out waiting and hoping for a low-milage NM barrel. Would love to turn it into a dedicated match-tuned M1 for XTC matches. Right now my as-issued CMP Correct HRA is my best shooter on the 600 yrd line. Might even keep the CMP walnut and have it glass bedded. Rather not do that to a nice USGI stock. Man, when I first caught wind of these even existing/being offered by the CMP on Saturday a.m., I've gone from...... I'll guess I better order one, or I know I'll regret not, to, "Holy cow, I hope I make the cut and receive a sweet 6.0 with pristine 56' NM barrel!!
Thanks again for the goodies, Orest, you keep/make the days exciting!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:53 PM

I wasn't there and perhaps should reserve comment, but info from those who were there indicate mostly replacement barrels, some correct, most not correct. I've got a mail order in but I'm not sure if they're worth the premium (to me).

Thanks for the reports so far, guys, and keep 'em comin'.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammonje View Post
Also saw a few with pristine LMR 53 barrels.
Hold on hold on I think I'm having the big one. LMR and NM barrels!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Arrived at 7:30 no. 26 in line. By the time I got to the 6mils there were about 8 left. Found a 6.09 with LMR barrel M1 T2. Replacement wood, H&R bolt. NM op rod - appears to have original finish. WWII trigger guard with part no. -1 I think. Should arrive tomorrow. Lots of "rusty" Kimbers - one is following me home. 7.62 barreled receivers - first I looked at had a M1 T2, pretty good finish - my next project. Several other people found nice ones pretty quick. Both with and without inserts available. Found a FG M1C with M1T2, nice wood - mount screws not pounded to bits - no numbers. Also on the way home. M1D service grades were iffy - no M reading less than 2 most 2.5or so. Several Winchester SGs - two with Win Op-rods and other win parts. Lots of SP & HR field grades ok, but not special. Several SG SPs with NM barrels a couple with very good barrels - one with LMR. Quite a few of the barreled SA receivers with bolts - wide choice of SNs - some looked pretty good - only one or two small pits. Barrels from '46 up. A very good crowd. When I left at 9:30 there were 4 six mil rifles left. Bores not so good. M2 T4-5 new wood. Ask if you have more questions. Personally I would like one of the mid '60s barrels - way better!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Arrived at 10:45. Three remaining 6.0's. Snagged the highest #, which also had the nicest green park. NM 9-54 barrel. When I left, there was one remaining. Trigger group looks new, unused. No wear marks.

Did a little Google-fu on the way home and turns out the one I chose is less than a thousand to the last one. I wonder how close to the end of the line they have.

Great addition to the collection. It will be shot! Glad they put limits on these. Parking lot was full. Staff was quick and efficient. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM

As I didn't get my mail order sent out until yesterday for arrival on Wed. I felt I would miss the cut. I decided to make the 4 hour trip from N.C. Got stuck in traffic going around Atlanta and didn't arrive at CMP south until 8:30. When I saw about 50 or more cars in the parking lot I figured they would be all out. Well I guess nothing was sold between when Americal71 arrived and when I got there 1 hour latter. There were 6 rifles left all with the Black Greek refinish. As I recall three were NM marked, one had a replacement barrel marked NM in the date area but not on front of barrel and the others had standard replacement barrels. I was going to pass when one more rifle was put out. Someone had placed it on hold then change there mind. It too had the black Greek refinish but it had a 6.87 receiver serial with the original 4 56 barrel, which was marked on the front of barrel with NM followed by a star, which indicates a NM rifle subjected to the new 10 shot accuracy requirements of 1957. The MW =1 and TE 3. The op Rod was HRA and the rest of the parts late SA. I did ask at the desk if most rifles had the Greek finish and was told "it's about 50 - 50".
I then decided to check out the Field Grade rifles. I saw what looked like a decent stock and a U.S. Arsenal refinish. I picked the rifle up and took a look. It turned out to be a 4.29 SA with original 6 53 barrel. The stock was a SA that had a nice "P" proof in circle but no cartouche. The stock also had been refinished and was glass bedded to tighten lock up of trigger group. I took the rifle to the front and removed the stock. Turned out to be marked TE 3-65 (Tooele Army Depot) mixmaster, MW 2+ TE 3+. The barrel and receiver were refinished as a unit so the face of chamber is not "in the white" but that is OK.
So I had to buy this one also. Think it will stay just as it is.

Last edited by JoeW2111; 10-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americal71 View Post
Personally I would like one of the mid '60s barrels - way better!
Indeed....that's been my focus this year during my visits to the SS.