X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItsGarand
    • Oct 2009

1903 Rebarrel issue/question

I recently ordered a new Criterion barrel and had it installed by a very competent machinist and part time gun-smith. His work is usually impecable.

The barrel was installed and finished reamed.

The bolt will close on a go gauge.

The bolt will not close on a no-go gauge or field gauge.

All seems ok, but I am having issues closing the bolt(difficult) on some cartridges. Upon inspection , the bullets are hitting the rifling
    and in one case (LC Match '67) opening the bolt and forcing the cartridge out separated the case from the bullet, leaving the bullet stuck in the bore.

I took some rough measurements of the chamber length by mounting a bullet in an empty case, placing it the chamber and closing the bolt. Using a bullet comparitor the length of the cartridge from base to ogive is 2.7435

Doing the same for two other 03's that I have(with original barrels)
    measure 2.7645 and 2.7860

I measured a few cartridges I have on hand:
    S&B M2 Ball - 2.6635 (appears to chamber ok)
    LC Match - 2.750 (The stuff that got stuck)
    HXP M2 Ball - 2.710 ish (varies) (appears to chamber ok)
    hand Load - 2.686

My hand loads (hornady A-Max bullets) which I use in my M1 and 03 are interesting since when I load these and extract them, I see a halo (rub marks) right at the ogive. Even though they chamber somewhat easily(just a little wide - resized with a lee die), it gives me pause since even though they measure shorter then the chamber, it appears they are coming right up to and touching the edge of the bore.

So with all of the above, should I:
    Take a little more out of the chamber or
    get used to selecting/making and using shorter cartridges?

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.
    S~
    “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine
  • Jimmy1256
    • Aug 2014

OK, Before I start I'm going to say up front "I am not a gunsmith" However this is my opinion. From your description it seems that you don't have a chamber problem (Go and NoGo checked). You seem to have a free bore problem. (bullet running into the rifling when chambered). So, cutting or trimming the chamber more isn't going to help. It's a new barrel, over time the "lead" is going to wear and your problem will go away by it self. However, unless you shoot this rifle a lot, it's going to take a long time to get to that point. You could talk to a gunsmith about cutting the lead, and thus eliminating your problem. Just my opinion.
    Jim

Comment

• Scout706
      • Dec 2014

"leade", not lead. Had to "add to dictionary". Though I am also not a gunsmith.

Comment

• ItsGarand
        • Oct 2009

Perhaps it should also be noted that I have done nothing as yet to "break in" the barrel since gthe first cartridge I attempted to load was the Lake City Match which got stuck. My smith tested his work before handing it over to me with HXP.
        “If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace” - Thomas Paine

Comment

• Emri
          • Feb 2012

The chamber reamer he used didn't cut the throat. You need to use a throating reamer to get the right amount of "leade".

Comment

• ItsGarand
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Jack Hammer
            Most of the chamber reamers used are also throat reamers. Some are not. It sounds like the throat hasn't been reamed. You are going to develop some high pressures if you shoot that rifle the way it is.
            Agreed on the second point. That is why I have not shot the gun yet.

Comment

• Emri
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Jack Hammer
              Sorry, I way typing as Emri was posting.
              You are going to develop some high pressures if you shoot that rifle the way it is.
              That's OK. Thanks for mentioning the pressure issue. I keep forgetting that what is obvious to me maybe unknown to someone else.

Comment

• ceresco
                • Oct 2009

Emri has it right. However, there is no need to do any further work on your rifle. The military faced the same situation in WW2 with 1903s chambered in the late 20s. My Criterion will debullet SOME US LC M2 rounds. This is normal for Criterion M1 barrels. HXP is not a problem, nor are properly loaded handloads. You can run US M2 through a bullet seating die to seat the bullets deeper or get around the problem some other way. Do a search to find more information on this subject. The pressure increase is not enough to worry about, but failure to chamber and subsequent debulleting and the resulting mess are. Good Shooting. .. QUESTION FOR THE OP--Is this a M1 or a 1903??? Addendum: I see the title says 1903. This is new to me. I have used many Criterion barrels for M1, 1917 and 1903/A3 rifles. Only short leades were in M1s. There may be variations coming out of the factory. I will look into this right away. Good Shooting. ...
                Last edited by ceresco; 08-10-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

• John Beard
                  • Oct 2009

As long as the neck of the cartridge is not compressed or bound, a short throat will not raise abnormal pressure.

J.B.

Comment

• ItsGarand
                    • Oct 2009

Thanks for the replies guys. I wanted to get a "sanity check" as I have heard that excess pressure can build when the bullet rests up againt the rifiling. I was also concerned that the bullets in Lake City match (which I will no longer use in this rifle) may be getting pushed further in the case. I think the answer here for me at least is to switch to ELD bullets or others with a gentle ogive and to use more modern commercial match ammo

Comment

• ceresco
                      • Oct 2009

How about simply seating the bullet deep enough to clear the lands......?? Good Shooting. ..

Comment

• chuckindenver
                        • Jan 2012

recut the chamber so it closes easy on a live greek HXP round.
                        use a standard 30-06 reamer with T handle and not a pull through.

Comment

• ItsGarand
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by chuckindenver View Post
                          recut the chamber so it closes easy on a live greek HXP round.
                          use a standard 30-06 reamer with T handle and not a pull through.

HXP seems to chamber with no issues and from what I can tell, no rub marks on the projectile.

Comment

• chuckindenver
                            • Jan 2012

likely the issue is whatever finish reamer your using..

Comment

• Doco Overboard
                              • Nov 2016

I had the same problem and received the same advice from Chuck, I followed his directions and the problem was solved by using a finish reamer with a t handle and HXP. One was a 17 and the other an 03 with Criterion replacement barrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X