Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2017, 05:52 PM

Default Vintage sniper match scope ?

Im sure this has been asked before and i seen the list and i believe this scope would be legal but i want to double check.Would a weaver K4 scope made in el Paso be legal on a A4?
Old 02-04-2017, 09:28 PM

No
Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Kdog, If memory serves me right the Weaver K4 was an OK scope when the Vintage sniper matches first started up, but was knocked off sometime after 2011. The Weaver K3 held on for a longer time, but it now is verboten, too. The good old Weaver K 2.5 is still good to go as a non- USGI scope.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:13 PM

Vintage Dude, The Weaver K4 was never legal for use on an A4 in this match. Weaver K4-60B's were reportedly used on some A4's during the VN era but that was well after the 1953 cut off date for vintage sniper rifles in this match. Rick
Old 02-20-2017, 08:02 PM

I'm honored that you replied to me in complete sentences, ricgman. Maybe I am just missrembering those older written directions about K4s and K3s being OK. I know a lot of folks are slightly miffed they have to give up their K3s now.

One thing I would like to be clear about concerns the use of scope rings; particularity, for the, related to the 03A4ergy and the K98 Mauser. Strictly reading the rules I can't see where horizontally split rings are "legal". That's fine unless you want to use the one inch diameter tube Weaver K2.5. there are one inch vertically split rings, but they seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth. Do I need to find vertically split one inch rings or am I all wet and the regular common horizontally split rings good to go?
Same deal about the Mauser. I'd like to use the Weaver K4, but with what rings?
I'm thinking all the "real" or repro rings are solid which means the bells of the K4 eliminate it even though it's "legal" by the rules. Accumount makes split rings along with solid rings for therir scope bases, but are the split rings "legal"?
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 AM

Split rings are legal even though these were not actually used with any authorized 1903A4 scope except the M84 and later the K4-60B. In fact, the M82 repro scope that the CMP sells happens to come with horizontal split rings. K4's are legal to use with Mausers since their issue scope had 4X magnification.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:21 AM

Thank you for the information. Reading the rules I understood that split rings are authorized..just vertically split rings because that's what was used in WW11 and Korea and I became concerned that these very common horizontally split rings for my Weaver K 2.5 were not authorized for the Vintage Sniper matches. Redfield 1-Inch Rotary Dovetail Steel Rings. So I can cool my jets on looking for a very expensive set of 1 inch vertically split rings and just keep the regular horizontally split Redfield rings as sold at Midway, Amazon..everywhere.

..and for the K98

http://www.accumounts.com/german-k98.html
10th item down on their web page
High Turret Mount(Split Rings)
Mauser High Turret Sniper Scope Mount with Split Rings

A perfect reproduction of a high turret mount with split rings for easy scope installation. The mount is precision machined, hot blued and calibrated for scopes with 26.5mm diameter tube. It also comes with 4 machined steel 1" spacers so that 1" scope can be installed. The spacers can also be used as shims for initial elevation adjustment. This turret mount can also be installed on Yugo Mausers.
Four M3.5 screws are also included.
Price in USD:
The above rings are not an exact repro (because they are split), but the Weaver K4 scope isn't either and it's authorized. So do you think I can safely invest in those rings for my K98 without fear of DQ?

Last edited by Vintage Dude; 02-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Dude View Post
The above rings are not an exact repro (because they are split), but the Weaver K4 scope isn't either and it's authorized. So do you think I can safely invest in those rings for my K98 without fear of DQ?
Yep, they are acceptable. The competition rules as they apply to the Vintage Sniper Rifle Match are terribly confusing and seriously need to be totally rewritten. I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:11 PM

Is the Leatherwood HiLux Malcolm USMC replica of the Unertl 8X acceptable for the 1903? The rules do not call it out specifically. They do list the L-M 3X & 6X.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 PM

It is accepted....and you have pointed out an obvious and unforgivable omission in the rules that has been there for years. Good Shooting. ...