Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle > Competitors Corner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 PM

Default Do you rest your eyes during a SF string?

If not you should consciously think about doing it.

While shooting in a high power match this past weekend the subject came up more than once. During our team match I had two very talented juniors on my team. I noticed one was beginning to labor and not be sure of calls. I asked how his eyes were and he said he was having difficulty. I had him close his eyes for several seconds a few times during the rest of the string. He recovered nicely. After he was done I was discussing the importance of eye rest with both of the juniors. Next to us was a friend of mine who is one of the top shooters in the area. He chimed in and said it was good advice and needed to remember to do this himself. I've noticed most shooters don't take an eye rest break and that's what prompted this thread.

I have made a habit of coming out of position every 6-8 shots for two reasons. First, an old shoulder injury results in my body locking up after so many minutes in prone. This goes against nearly all teachings, normally once you build your position most tell you to stay put. Second, my eyes get ""Buggie"" so I will lay my head on the mat as best I can and keep my eyes closed for 10-20 seconds.

Don't let shots stray late in your string because your eyes need a break. A good signal for me is two shots in a row I can't call and feel the target is a fuzz ball.
Distinguished Rifleman #2227
Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 AM

Good advice, I shall make a note to try this my next XTC. I've got a .5 correction on my shooting eye, so the target is usually fuzzy to start and results in bull gazing.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 PM

Have you tried a .25 or .375 correction? I ask because going to a .50 is the common first stop. Many don't realize smaller fractions are available & they may not need the full half. Optometrists rarely understand a shooters ability to notice a minor change in prescription. You may not be able to notice in the doctor's office but looking at the target through an aperture you might. If you can get by with less magnification the target will sharpen up.
Distinguished Rifleman #2227
Old 06-15-2015, 05:12 PM

This post is so hidden, sorry for the late reply.

Following the advice of Bob Jones, and Art (Shootingsight)...I have been using a +.50. I will be trying a +.25 for the next few matches. Glasses, not hood insert.

I'm 37, nearsighted since 10, and have a moderate (near/far) scrip currently. My eye doctor is on board with what I'm trying to do. I think my moderate scrip, with the +.50 is too aggressive for the M1/M1A. Assuming my street glasses had the BEST and Clearest distance vision only, then .5 would be where to start. I do computer and distance work, so its already a compromise.

At present, after a match, C&R or XTC, my corrected eye starts throbbing a bit. That tells me, that a .25 or .37 would be a better choice. I must not be relaxed and I'm fighting to see target boards/target placement.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 06-15-2015 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:04 PM

Try looking at the grass, anything green will calm your vision. I do this between each shot and am able to focus longer. I fight 5 different floaters in my right eye and even more in the left.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:08 PM

I'll bring some grass with me next time.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Ha ha! Maybe mail you a square or two.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:45 AM

Plenty of grass being backpacked around out there. You should have trouble finding any.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:50 AM

when I was an active high power shooter, I took advantage of any time I could to shut my eyes for even a few seconds, esp as the match progressed,

esp during the slow fire phases,,

seemed to help with fatigue
Old 06-06-2017, 10:33 AM

In addition to closing the eye, I will focus on the grass out maybe 30 feet away, and check out the flags, etc. That also gives the muscles trying to change the shape of my 65 year old and petrified lens a break from trying to focus on something 24 inches away.

Another important factor for me is not letting the eye dry out. I use eye drops a lot while shooting. Especially true if you have a wind from 12:00 oclock.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)