Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 Swedish View Post
Yes, others have gone this route, but there is a bit of groupthink among many shooters regarding gear. (One of the Top 20 in the shoot-off in the President's was using a cheap Leupold Mark-AR, so it can be done).
I was in the shootoff last year using a $300 Burris MTAC, I fired a 795 at the Creedmoor cup and won several other matches along the way with it. I now shoot a Nightforce due to the tracking issues. when I say tracking issues, i'm only talking about a 1/2 MOA off in elevation but that can be enough to cause lost points.

decide what you want to do and where you want to go in this sport, then choose the right optic to fit the bill. Money also plays of course.

the only issues I've seen with parallax is using a scope set for 200 yards and trying to use it at 100.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydabney View Post

the only issues I've seen with parallax is using a scope set for 200 yards and trying to use it at 100.
Marty, can you explain the details of your issue with parallax? Rick
Old 08-06-2017, 02:48 PM

so the Nightforce is set for a 200 yard Parallax. when shooting at 100 yards, groups were large and off call. in offhand, i'd call say a mid ring 10 at 9 and it would come up a 9 at 5. I had a friend 3D print a front scope cap with a 1/4 inch hole and that eliminated the issues. everything was back on call and all was well.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 PM

Marty, from your description, I would suggest that your eye was not centered in the exit pupil. The 1/4" hole forced you to center your eye in the exit pupil. Rick
Old 08-06-2017, 08:14 PM

I have spoken with three different Leupold technical support / custom shop employees and they have all said the same thing. The folks at another American scope manufacturer concurred. Parallax is much more a factor at shorter ranges. It kind of makes sense if you look at the scale on an AO (adjustable objective) scope. If it truly makes a difference, it can be changed. Currently, the rifle isn't the weakest link in the system. This shooter is. I doubt the scope's parallax will hold me back.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Tim
Old 08-09-2017, 06:42 AM

300 yard Parallax is balanced for XTC. Maximum mathematical error at both 200 & 600 yards is .06 MOA with a 24 mm objective. Parallax error @ 300 is zero. In my mind this setup does 2 things: 1. Zero error regardless of head placement in rapid prone (first of the hard targets) and 2. It clears up the 600 yard sight picture some. I can see numbers and scoring rings pretty easily if the mirage isn't too heavy.

I prefer a a medium / fine cross hair and an illuminated dot, preferably one I can adjust intensity of.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 08-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Would love to see some pics of your rifles and scope set ups...
Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
300 yard Parallax is balanced for XTC. Parallax error @ 300 is zero. Zero error regardless of head placement in rapid prone (first of the hard targets)
Very good logic.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:51 AM

I just received this email from MidwayUSA for a sale on refurbished Leupold optics. Maybe it will help someone out.

Jim

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...ItemsPerPage=0