Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX41 View Post
Well I shot my first match this morning. I learned a lot, mainly how much I need to learn it was really fun, met some great guys, very welcoming.

Shot a 230

90-1
58 (two missus)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very respectable score for your first match, congratulations! To this day, I try to focus on what what I did good in a match as well as where I can improve. You can easily not have 2 misses next match and gain points in standing, get smoother in rapids and you'll soon shoot that stage on par with your slow fire prone. With time & practice you'll see steady improvement, above all enjoy the commraderie and range time!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 08-13-2017, 02:19 AM

I agree with Craftsman, that's a good score for your first time. I shot a 46 in standing my first match.

As far as the misses, remember the way to avoid making bad shots is to not take bad shots. You can always bring the rifle down and start over.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la Fiere View Post
I'm a lefty and have been shooting an M1 competitively going on 10 years now, sledless the whole time. Just my opinion, but I see them as a solution in search of a problem.
LOL, my left-handed buddy was known for busting up varying fingers inside the action during these matches during every stage. Blood was common. We used to joke about pre-registering the medevac to his firing point and reserving him seat before each match.

Then he got a SLED.

Never happened again.

Now he just carries a CAT tourniquet, as a bittersweet reminder of those 'good ole days...'