Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2016, 08:16 PM

Not that a good trigger isn't helpful but the thought of that in your mind while you are shooting is not helpful. I decided early on four years ago I was NOT going to be obsessed about all my triggers being perfect. A few simple reasons; 1) there are multiple trigger weights allowed depending on class. If you shoot bolt, garand, and carbine you will always have very different trigger pulls to adjust to. 2) Certain rifles have limitations on what can be done unless you are really skilled. My 1917 trigger pull was 6 1/2 lbs the last time I checked three years ago. Aside from the weight it has a lot of creep. It's better than a carbine but no comparison to a Geisselle. Clean up your trigger pulls as best you can and forget about them.

Off hand being a gifted thing.........maybe for some but not me. I credit a few different things for my standing normally being a strong point. I dry fire a lot in my basement. If I struggle at the range or dry firing I will make minor adjustments (normally in mu basement dry firing) until I see improvement. There is no single correct standing position.

My suggestions are (all in dry fire at first) What ever your normal standing position is currently, try it for a few shots and mentally note how much wobble area you have. Pick an area to experiment with. Where I started was hand position. I started with the reverse palm, then split finger(forward) rifle on the palm, then the fist, where I saw some improvements last year. Early this year changed cradle of the hand between the thumb and fore finger with fingers pointed up and out. In the middle of last year I also experimented with how far apart my feet were. I never made a change based on improvement in one dry fire or live fire session. I wanted to see improvement in new versus previous position for at least a week. I could give you other specific things I attempted but it is unlimited. Feet squared up to the target, open or close stance. Legs more relaxed and bent or near locked up.

Having experienced shooters watch you and give critiques can be helpful but only if they are presented in a manner that leads you to experiment. A good coach can be worth several points. Most of us must work to improve. All of us must diagnose our own position to some degree if we ever hope to improve. One last tip I've heard some junior coaches use. Right off the bat hold the gun in position for a few minutes. After 3-4 minutes you will have an idea if your NPA is in the ballpark or if you are muscling the gun up instead of resting it on a good bone supported base.
Distinguished Rifleman #2227
Old 09-27-2017, 02:39 PM

It's been some time since any word from Greg Ficklin.
Hope all is well.