Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 PM

Default Need help getting 1902/1922 front sight screw out

All,
I've got a M1922 with a front sight problem. The front sight base is so loose it just fell out. Didn't think anything of it until I noticed the front sight base screw is all buggered up. Half of the head of the screw has broken off so there is no way for a screwdriver to get a bite. I've tried to grip the remaining half with pliers to turn the screw but that isn't working. I might soak the thing in Kroil tonight and try again tomorrow but I'm worried I might break the remaining piece of metal off and then I'll be in worse shape. Any ideas on how to get that screw out?

I should add that the rifles original owner is a fairly important historical figure so I want to be as careful as possible with this. Also, the rifle was blued so I need to be careful of that finish.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:46 PM

I'd soak it a little longerl than overnight. Try very light taps using a punch as well.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 09-19-2017, 11:52 PM

Hey Gunny! Haven't seen you around for a while...thanks for chiming in. How are those grandtwins treating you?!

Are you saying tap it with a punch after soaking and then try with the pliers again or are you thinking I could get the punch to push into the screw head enough to maybe turn it? I'm exposing my ignorance, but I've never had to get a headless screw out of anything. There might be a tool for this, but I just don't know.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM

If the front sight movable stud has fallen out, don't rule out the possibility of simply turning the screw on through, rather than trying to back it out. Turning the screw on through reduces the possibility of having to deal with boogered threads.

Even though one side of the screw head may be broken off, a snug-fitting jewelers screwdriver should still be able to place leverage on the remaining side of the screw head, and turn it on through rather than back it out.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarsrecon View Post
Hey Gunny! Haven't seen you around for a while...thanks for chiming in. How are those grandtwins treating you?!

Are you saying tap it with a punch after soaking and then try with the pliers again or are you thinking I could get the punch to push into the screw head enough to maybe turn it? I'm exposing my ignorance, but I've never had to get a headless screw out of anything. There might be a tool for this, but I just don't know.
Doing great. Grandtwins, the other Grands, motorcycle touring, honey-dos, and such is keeping me away from my guns and here.

No, just a punch (if needed) and a small tapping to "break" corrosion and threads. Then try the pliers. Sorry for the late response. You may already have it done. John Beard has an idea there as well......
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell
Old 10-01-2017, 01:50 PM

So I have a similar problem with the same rifle. But in my case a previous owner company obliterated the screw head. My front sight is a replacement Redfield sourdough which is a good sight but I'd like to put the stock part back in. Many thanks and my apologies for slightly pirating this thread.