Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2017, 03:42 AM

Nice! I appreciate it J.B. I noticed in the other thread you told the OP you could send him more information if he would reveal his complete serial number. Do you have a list of all the serial numbers that went through the USMC rebuild or just the ones that got a new barrel? Any additional information is welcome if you have it. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:47 AM

wow! nice piece! time to melt some lead and work up a load for that thing! RAH!
Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbrewer View Post
Nice! I appreciate it J.B. I noticed in the other thread you told the OP you could send him more information if he would reveal his complete serial number. Do you have a list of all the serial numbers that went through the USMC rebuild or just the ones that got a new barrel? Any additional information is welcome if you have it. Thanks.
Your rifle's serial number was struck in January, 1911. Your rifle is fitted with its original barrel. Your rifle will, therefore, have no so-called USMC vise marks on the barrel because it has not been re-barreled.

Some time during or after the late-1930's, your rifle's receiver was drilled for a Hatcher Hole.

Your rifle was last overhauled in late WWII, at which time it was refinished with USMC urine-colored parkerizing. The parkerizing is not very durable and most rifles develop a brown patina if not well-oiled. When re-assembled, your rifle was fitted with a smooth buttplate that had been USMC-stippled during early WWII. It was also fitted with a WWII-production Springfield Armory bolt having a mismatched USMC serial number taken from another rifle also undergoing overhaul.

Your rifle's serial number is not listed by the Springfield Research Service. Therefore, no record is currently available regarding who your rifle may have been issued to or where it may have served.

J.B.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:15 AM

That's about the most I have ever found out about any rifle I own. Thanks.