Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM

Default Mixmaster Remington 1903A3 with SC Stock

Hi,

I recently acquired a Remington 1903A3 and I could use some help figuring out exactly where all the parts came from. I've scoured the internet and managed to come up with most of the major ones but I'm wondering how much of the other parts are original to the build or if there are any parts of particular value or interest. Receiver and barrel are both December 43 and I can tell it was rebuilt at some point but I can't tell where or when. Any information on when the stock might have been produced would be welcome also.

butt plate - remington (16 tpi, no other markings)
trigger - housing marked with a 2 inside a square / trigger marked with a R / black parkerized
trigger guard - remington / blued
stock - Smith Corona with pins / FJA on left side / Four markings forward of trigger guard (5 inside Diamond; 5 inside stock / L or 7 inside circle; l or 7 stamped inside stock / 8 inside a triangle / 6 inside a square) Barrel band retaining spring marked with R / half of circle P proof stamp visible / Square outline of a cartouche visible on right side behind bolt handle.
follower and spring not marked / smooth
rifling appears sharp / no visible pitting, rust / (gunsmith says the fired cases weren't deformed)
barrel marked RA with bomb and 12-43/ P on underside / no scratches or rust on outside of barrel under hand guards
first barrel band is blued, minor rust, flat sling loop marked with R
second barrel band, no markings, flat stacking swivel / rough black parkerization
end cap marked with an R / rough black parkerized
Front sight marked with an R, rough black parkerization / front post not marked
bolt handle - marked with 3 on top and R underneath, swept
bolt shroud - R in a circle

Shoots pretty well (trigger is pretty smooth but has some mush and overtravel) 100 yard groupings aren't spectacular (4-6" spread at 100 yards, pretty sure that's user error) and seems to be shooting about 8-10" high at 50yds and 10-12" high at 100yds (sight is on the 200yard setting). Managed to (roughly) center the group by moving the rear sight over 1x index mark to the left.

If you look at in the right light, the faint cartouches on the right side might also have some letters before the square, last one is probably a "F". Stock looks like it was sanded with a grill brush.

Paid $650 for it, which seemed like a really fair deal.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 09-24-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:10 PM

You appear to have it well identified, a typical mixed overhaul.

You did well on the price, and the high point of impact is quite normal at the given sight settings and range distances.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:59 PM

Are you doing a 6 o'clock hold or are you aiming for the center of the target with your sights? Try it at 6 o'clock and I'd bet it was close to center of target with the rounds.
Well worth what you paid for it.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM

I was aiming center mass on the target. I was shooting Korean and Greek M2 and I figured it would be high at that 50-100 yards anyway, since it was theoretically at a 200 yard zero. Ballistics calculator and various other threads indicated it should have been closer to 2"-4" high if the front sight was the right size. Is there an easy way to tell what sight post size I have without popping the pin?

Also, any apologies if this particular thread would be better served in the "Ask Each Other" section. I can move it if any of the moderators would prefer it.

Last edited by alphawhiskey; 09-27-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:15 AM

The cocking piece is definitely not military. Wonder where it came from?
Old 10-05-2017, 01:49 PM

So, I had noticed it was a bit odd but didn't think much of it. Did some deep googling and found this thread from 2010...

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/para...on-t37967.html

Apparently it looks like a M1922 .22LR trainer cocking piece? That would lend credence to the idea that it might have been rebuilt at Ogden (much like the one that is discussed in the thread), especially if they had a large number of those available.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
The cocking piece is definitely not military. Wonder where it came from?
Beat me to it. looks like an M22 cocking piece maybe?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin08 View Post
You appear to have it well identified, a typical mixed overhaul.
If this is the case then I'd leave it alone. The rifle has more value (and is more historically correct) in this condition than it will with a "kitchen table rebuild."
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 AM

I was thinking I would leave it alone with the exception of maybe changing the front sight post out for a taller one. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality and it's basically part of the history of the rifle (unlike my Garand where I'm thinking about changing the Boyd's stock for a period one just for kicks)

My restorative action on the stock was limited to a generous rubdown with BLO/mineral spirits.

How do I measure the front sight post height and determine its size? It's currently unmarked on the visible part.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:31 AM

There's nothing wrong with putting on a C stock for shooting but keep the stock it came with. Google your front site problem and you will find the math you need to for the fix. I can't recollect the formula right now but it's easy to find and to calculate. If you are shooting low you could try carefully filling the front sight down at the range until you hit zero. But remember, the rear sight on an 03A3 was not designed to zeroed at 100-yards. Best of luck and have fun.

PS - I just reread your post and realized you are hitting high and not low.

Tags
1903a3, identification, mixmaster, remington