Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi Guys,

A fellow at the outdoor range has seen me with various old service rifles.

He has offered me a very worn barreled action that he has had for many years.
We have not agreed to a price yet.

The bad - It will need a barrel & maybe a bolt. It has a very worn 1942 barrel. So it's not original!
It's a little rusty. It will need a replacement 03 stock & all the metal replaced.

The good -very early serial # less then #6000 & maybe the fun of getting a very old girl back in service.

Thanks for any guidance,
broom
If it is less than 6000, then it would be a first year production receiver. Some list 7500 as the cutoff for first year ones.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:28 PM

Default 22 rim fire conversion, M2 bolt and barrel liner

Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 PM

Hi Guys,

Brought it out to the gunsmith tonight. He said the action & bolt look good for a rebuild. I'm torn, make it work again but I will never get my time & money out of it.

Now to talk price with the fellow & find all the missing parts at a fair price. This will be a long term project, have to polish out all the action & have them blued or at least re parked.

Now I have another question is the sight sleeve only pinned on or are they silver soldered too?

Thanks for your help & PLEASE keep helping me out,
broom
Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Now I have another question is the sight sleeve only pinned on or are they silver soldered too
No solder, just pins.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:51 AM

Hi Emri,

I looked it up (on line & in a gunsmith book I have) late last night.

Amazing what I can find out"IF" I actually open a book.
It's now confirmed, I'm becoming a lazy guy.

I discovered we have to use lots of penetrating oil & a little heat to help the sight sleeve to come off more easily & knocking the pin out.

Thanks for your reply,
broom
Old 10-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Hi Fellow posters,

I found a commercial 03 replacement stock & hand-guard for $40.
It looks like all the cuts are made in the correct places.

The hand-guard fits well with the bands on! I will have to drill out the cleaning kit / oiler hole later on. The trigger guard fits well too!
The barrel on the action is bent, so I can't install the barreled action to check the fit until I get a new barrel.
I did see two NICE original stocks for $300 each,but this rusty & worn RIA action is only a parts gun at best. It's only being rebuilt do to the very early serial #

Now to round up a new barrel, used butt plate & a few other missing or unusable parts. Glass bead the action-polish everything out & re-blue so it's not a ugly eye soar.
Low cost but functional is the watch word!

Best wish's & thanks to all,
broom
Old 10-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Hi Fellows,

The gunsmith got the barrel off today & I managed to tap the rear sight barrel sleeve off the barrel. Progress - slow but steady!

This action had been re-barreled in 1942 Apparently "someone " had a problem installing the pin that fix's the sight sleeve to the barrel.

One set of holes (ORIGINAL's) were just dummy plugs. The actual pin was located 45 degree's out of it's normal place. It took a little work to locate the real pin location!
Now to locate the other missing or needed parts.

Enjoy life,
broom
Old 10-18-2017, 12:02 AM

Hi Fellow posters,

My Progress report on the 1905 RIA barreled action to date ! Set up the Harbor Freight bead blaster a few days ago.
First time using it, the barrel was junk so I practiced on it.
The unit works well once, I set all the valves in the correct place. I'll look for more usable handle,the original one is clumsy.

Got the feel of using the unit. What I thought was black paint on the barrel did not come off like normal paint does. Did not understand what I was looking at!
Took some more of the action apart to remove the light rust & "black paint"!

Removed the mag cutoff & other small parts - trigger & took the bolt apart.
Discovered every little spring, firing pin spring & the follower spring was DEAD soft! This rifle had been in a hot fire! :

What I thought was old black paint was charring from the fire. What I thought was oily dirt/ rust under the bayonet band & rear sight mount was really what was left of the stock! Lesson learned!

We win some & some we don't, this time I lost!

If any of you would try to rebuild a action into a working firearm, PLEASE really look it over well.

Don't know if it will become a wall hanger or just cut it up & salvage all the usable parts like the sights ,trigger guard & follower!

Be safe out there,
broomhandle
Old 10-18-2017, 12:22 PM

We used to have an old man here that when something did not turn out well would say "Well the tuition is worth something."
Old 10-18-2017, 11:08 PM

Robert is right. An education is worth what you pay for it.

This has been interesting to watch, and I think you made a correct decision to try to rebuild this old girl. Sometimes it's not about making money on a gun at all, but putting one back together just for the heck of it. Having a first-year production '03 for a low cost would be interesting, even if it ended up being a wall hanger. Still a most interesting rifle, and you have to wonder what that rifle has been through in the past 115 years.