Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 10:32 AM

RE; N744ST 747-400 Tanker flight ops, yesterday Wed. 10/12

Shows flight track and schedule (take off-landing times)

The website is quite current if you want to follow the ops (if you have registration number)-----the B200 spotter is REALLY busy....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N744ST

The track log get really intense.....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/.../KMCC/tracklog
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM

Where are those Mars Water Bombers?

22 tons of water pickup in 30 seconds (and probably a few fish, steamed on-site, for firemen to grub on while fire-fighting? )
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampComLegacy View Post
Where are those Mars Water Bombers?

22 tons of water pickup in 30 seconds (and probably a few fish, steamed on-site, for firemen to grub on while fire-fighting? )
One is slated to go to a museum ( Philippine Mars ) and is out of service. Hawaii Mars hit a bottom of a lake and was undergoing repairs at last report.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
I saw the 747 tanker up by Geyserville on TV. And a DC10. I think that the problem is that the 747 takes hours to turn around, just to fuel the plane and load the fire retardant. It is flying out of Sacramento, so it is 100 miles from the fires. Yesterday, they lit a backfire on the hill above the golf course and it burned a huge area, came down to withing 1/4M of my son's house and scared the crap out of everyone. I am back on the danger list because they think that the fires that just missed me on Monday are coming back. Two days ago they let the entire Bennett Ridge subdivision, 75 homes burn up with no response. There are three large lakes within a mile or two of that neighborhood. A chopper and bucket probably could have helped those people. There was an NG Blackhawk flying around taking News people and officials on tours of the disaster area. That could have done wonders for those 75 homes.
I saw it in Lake County 2 years ago. It's all about priorities. If they think it can be saved they commit resources. If not, they use available resources where success is possible or where lives are in the most danger. I watched the entire valley below my house go up in a firestorm in 2 hours, hundreds of homes. Air tankers worked the perimeter to slow spread, they saved my neigborhood, but nothing could be done in the valley so they abandoned efforts there almost immediately. Waste of resources, waste of time, no chance to suppress or prevent loss, too hazardous for first responders o they moved on and let it burn to white ash. Funny how, in that case, you heard no monday morning quarterbacking. All you saw after people were allowed back in were signs on every street corner and many piles of white ash thanking the first responders for their efforts. People who lost their homes were walking in to local restaurants and buy entire crews breakfast, lunch and dinner.

My heart goes out to anyone who has suffered loss or who may still suffer loss in these horrific events. But, what isn't appropriate is criticising the efforts of the very people who put their lives on the line trying to save others. Note, my failure to mention property. It's not even secondary in nature. That's what, if you are in the least responsible, insurance is for.

If you didn't see firefighters or air tankers where you were, someone else needed them more. Time to realize that and move on with recovery. Based on how slow recovery has been in Lake County, starting early is critical to your success. Wasting time complaining on Forums or waiting on someone else to help is not in your best interest.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 PM

What about HOA's?

In CA, it sure seems to me that they'd reserve funds first and foremost for PRIVATE / Charter flight ops for water or retardant drops???????

ed.:
Or even have a drop program set up on paper, WITH ADJUSTED HOME OWNERS PREMIUMS, DEFERRED / ADJUSTED DEDUCTIBLES ???

Last edited by ACampComLegacy; 10-12-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:43 PM

Larry Glad to hear the fire didn't move to you. The Fires are spread over a large area ...air tankers can only do so much... In medicine its Triage .... same here the homes that can be saved with resources at hand get the Tankers. What is MOST disturbing to me is the lack of info on the CAUSE of all this...its not lightning or a Cigar....its deliberate Arson .... in my O Pine.... by the nature of the calls times and location. My Cousin is a FF out of San Jose...hes working like a dog... this is flat awful event. I can assure from personal experience the Air Tanker folks and FF are doing their best...Thankless Job.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
Larry Glad to hear the fire didn't move to you. The Fires are spread over a large area ...air tankers can only do so much... In medicine its Triage .... same here the homes that can be saved with resources at hand get the Tankers. What is MOST disturbing to me is the lack of info on the CAUSE of all this...its not lightning or a Cigar....its deliberate Arson .... in my O Pine.... by the nature of the calls times and location. My Cousin is a FF out of San Jose...hes working like a dog... this is flat awful event. I can assure from personal experience the Air Tanker folks and FF are doing their best...Thankless Job.
I actually strongly suspect the cause will be failed, downed or slapping PG&E utility lines. Hurricane force 80 MPH gusts will do that everytime even on the best maintained systems which PG&E's are not. Given the terrain where these fires started the lines are the most suspect cause.

I would have glady kissed the ****** of the pilots of the DC10 that was dropping in the valley below me during the Valley Fire. They saved every home on the mountain I live on.

Last edited by lapriester; 10-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 PM

Today lots of fire trucks moving into area and some air tankers (C130s) are flying into the airport. The problem is that while a plan was being put together, the fire grew and smaller fires started. They don't have a chance of getting this thing out anytime soon. To show you how crazy California is: The Cal Fire official who apparently is in charge and making decisions was saying that they plan on bringing in firemen from Australia. That makes a lot of sense. Why not India? Meanwhile a lot of great people are busting their asses dealing with reality. Saw Gavin Newsom and Mike Thompson on TV today telling us what a great job they are doing. God help us.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
Today lots of fire trucks moving into area and some air tankers (C130s) are flying into the airport. The problem is that while a plan was being put together, the fire grew and smaller fires started. They don't have a chance of getting this thing out anytime soon. To show you how crazy California is: The Cal Fire official who apparently is in charge and making decisions was saying that they plan on bringing in firemen from Australia. That makes a lot of sense. Why not India? Meanwhile a lot of great people are busting their asses dealing with reality. Saw Gavin Newsom and Mike Thompson on TV today telling us what a great job they are doing. God help us.
India. LOL. "Please listen carefully, as our FIREFIGHTING options have recently changed. Due to heavy call volume, wiat time may be extended. To leave a callback #, ... Para Espanol, oprima el numero uno. Para conflagracion, vaya con Dios, y ademas, haul a55 AHORA!"
Old 10-13-2017, 02:42 AM

Default Resources Coming In From All Over? ...

An informed reliable source tells me fifty, (50) Engines will be or have been sent from the State of Oregon as of around 12 noon, PDT, Wednesday, 11 October, 2017. No mention of Apparatus type, responding Agencies, staffing levels or support personal. This is getting serious.

A question that must be asked is why this did not happen at the get go? And ... is Cal Fire more about smoke and mirrors, (pun not intended) and less about hard fire suppression endeavors? From Australia? WTF? But there will always be detractors, including me. Not good.

The Federalization of the American Fire Service Continues. Did not used to be like this. Each Agency had detailed plans, both Automatic Aid and Mutual Aid with neighboring fire agencies within the State. Not Nationally. Not Internationally. But how else would it all happen?

I guess this fire complex would qualify as "The Big One!".

Last edited by HB of CJ; 10-13-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: correction