Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Stars stamped on the Pistol Grip of stocks

Guys,
I would like to open for discussion again the subject of a stock that would have a STAR stamped into the pistol grip.
As many of you know I have been collecting information on Arsenal Rebuild M1 Garands for quite some time. In that time I have received photo files of a lot of member's rifles. That is appreciated since it lets me look at a fairly large population of rifles when trying to figure something out.
I have been seeing stocks turning up that have a star stamped on the pistol grip.
Most of these, if not all, are turning up on what appear to be Tooele M1D stocks. I call them Tooele M1D stocks because the proof on the stock is consistent with what is seen on the Tooele rifles and several of these were on new Lottery M1Ds from Tooele. Those not being Lottery rifles exhibit the same overall characteristics, but all were M1Ds.
Maybe they also turn up on non-M1D stocks?

I need more data for fellow collectors before this could be something that would be reliably stated.
So if you have a rifle stock that has a star stamped into the pistol grip, I would like to get some photos of the stock details to add to the growing database.
Other stampings and locations are cool but I prefer to limit this thread to only those with stars on the pistol grip.
You can post up your photos here, or PM me and we can talk.

While I have quite a few here are just a couple examples so you know what I am looking for:

Thanks for your help guys,
Rob
Old 10-11-2017, 12:46 PM

I have not seen a star on a stock but have pics of a small star on a barrel between the g.c. gap. and on the end of the g.c. plug.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM

My lottery M1D has a star stock
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
I have not seen a star on a stock but have pics of a small star on a barrel between the g.c. gap. and on the end of the g.c. plug.
Have also seen that but I do not think it is related to the star I am looking for.
thanks,
Rob
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM

Default Star on Tooele M1D from South Store

I dug out my Tooele etched M1D purchased a while back at the South Store since I knew it also had a star on the pistol grip.

any others out there?

Rob
Old 10-12-2017, 01:18 PM

If you take a look at TRFindley's web site,
http://www.trfindley.com/pgsnstmpsm1.html, you'll see a picture of the dies used to stamp stocks. Included is one for the small star stamping that you may be referring to...

Unfortunately, there is no mention of this stamp in the web site text.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:28 PM

A second acceptance stamp???? Just a hunch. The DAS has a similar star, and the P stands for proof, having passed proof test. My guess is that it has to be some sort of acceptance stamp for a stock already bearing the DAS.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:48 PM

https://imgur.com/tOfvMaB

It is not an M1, but my 1903 has a star on the wrist on the right side and one on the bottom just in front of the butt plate.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
https://imgur.com/tOfvMaB

It is not an M1, but my 1903 has a star on the wrist on the right side and one on the bottom just in front of the butt plate.
That is pretty neat and I am sure had meaning to someone at the time.
Rob
Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 AM

Default The reason for the star on M1 Garand grips?

There was a thread here a few years ago where it was conjectured that the star was related to stocks on Tooele M1Ds that needed wood added for lockup improvement.
It is easy to understand why that seemed logical at the time since all the examples being looked had the wood added.
Over the past few years I have collected quite a few files on Tooele M1Ds.
Only a relatively small number of those have the star on the grip.

- The star appears on both rifles that needed to have wood added for lockup as well as one that did not, so that theory starts to get weaker.
- A common denominator I have seen so far is that all the stars appear on Walnut-reworked stocks. I have not seen any on Birch stocks.
- Another common denominator is that all the stars have appeared on M1Ds. I have not seen any regular rifles with this feature. (edit) regular stocks have begun to appear so this is NOT limited to M1Ds
- Not all Walnut stocks get the star, though.
- I have not seen any stars on any of the Open Box SA (RA or RIA EB) stocks that Tooele seemed to use a lot of.

More examples to analyze would be handy.

Rob

Last edited by rob30-06; 10-18-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: additional info