Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanb View Post
....The only "fool" is the uninformed that doesn't recognize what it is.
Why does being "uninformed" (i.e. ignorant, which is curable) make one a fool? This is why we ask questions in the Forum - to be informed and no longer ignorant.

"Life is Good!"
Old 10-12-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelap View Post
Why does being "uninformed" (i.e. ignorant, which is curable) make one a fool? This is why we ask questions in the Forum - to be informed and no longer ignorant.

"Life is Good!"
That one is on me as I suggested the high going price was a foolish act. But again, that was based on the facts as presented by the CMP. Such auctions should clearly disclose what the listed item is. If not, then the credibility of the item and the auction house comes into question.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM

I'm assuming they don't make assumptions in their auction descriptions unless they can actually verify it. It's a CYA
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliman View Post
I'm assuming they don't make assumptions in their auction descriptions unless they can actually verify it. It's a CYA
Copied and understood. It still doesn't help us knuckleheads out much. The description could have made a few extra statements and concluded with an appropriate caveat. Anyway, I'm afraid my pockets don't go deep enough for this one.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:36 PM

I was wondering why bidding was so high also. Thanks for the info about M40's and interest in collectability.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Let me see if I can get Ryan over her to comment on it this. I'm decent with these. But I trust Ryan a lot more.

He's the M40 guy to ask.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:16 AM

There isn't any real rhyme or reason in the bidding here. Forum guys wig out about bids on the other gun auction sites but things get bid up pretty substantially here, too. I put it to guys willing to shell out more $$$ 'cause they're going to the CMP cause. That and a number of guys here seem to feel the CMP guns are somehow more legitimate.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincalc View Post
There isn't any real rhyme or reason in the bidding here. Forum guys wig out about bids on the other gun auction sites but things get bid up pretty substantially here, too. I put it to guys willing to shell out more $$$ 'cause they're going to the CMP cause. That and a number of guys here seem to feel the CMP guns are somehow more legitimate.
Copy that
Old 10-14-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
Let me see if I can get Ryan over her to comment on it this. I'm decent with these. But I trust Ryan a lot more.

He's the M40 guy to ask.
How's it going man? I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents on this rifle.

There are multiple issues with the gun and it's definitely not worth $5k+. That being said, the money is going to a great organization and a worthy cause. I just want prospective bidders to know what they're getting into before they drop big bucks on this item.

What you're buying at this auction is essentially just the receiver, since the other parts have been messed with or are missing (satin black Redfield scope). The serial number puts this gun right with all the other known 6257xxx rifles, so at least the receiver is good to go.

The stock is missing the original metal buttplate (part # 16601) and has a rubber pad installed. It is impossible to know when and why this modification was done, it could even have been put on there for a shooting team member as opposed to a sniper. The stock also appears to have a brass pin pressed in on the top of the grip directly behind the receiver. This would have been done by an armorer trying to fix a crack in the stock. I'd imagine you might have issues with this if you were to actually shoot the rifle on a regular basis. The action and the first inch or so of the barrel have also been bedded to the stock.

Looking closely at the pics, I don't see any barrel markings, so it's also possible that the barrel has been cut down and re-chambered or it's a replacement. There is also a ton of rust on the crown, which means that the inside of the barrel is probably rusty and/or pitted. I doubt this rifle would shoot very well. The recoil lug is also unusually thick, definitely something that was added when the rifle was re-barreled.

The base is a Redfield 700SA, which are pretty common. This is correct for the later 7 digit rifles, but aren't anywhere near as valuable as the original 40X bases that the 6 digit rifles had. The rifle is also missing it's scope, which should be a satin black Redfield 3-9x. However, glossy black Redfield scopes from the same time period are easy to come by and can be used to complete the set (tokiwartooth on the forum can also anodize the scope in a matte finish if need be).

This rifle would make an excellent restoration project if you have some original parts laying around. Also, there are more of these that will be coming up for sale shortly. Everything from barreled actions to guns brand new in the Remington factory bag! Can't wait to see what those NOS rifles go for!
Old 10-14-2017, 05:46 PM

Steve, I think this guy may know his stuff.