Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle > Competitors Corner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 AM

Default Unexpected Circumstances

Jon and I thought we were not shooting our first competition match until Thursday but found out at the airport we were shooting the very next morning following a 15-hour travel day and late arrival to the Olympic Training Center.

Jetlag and elevation change are just a few environmental effects traveling to a competition has on an athlete.

We were able to counter these issues to the best of our abilities with constant hydration and naps as often as possible. Of course, staying focused on the task at hand and not worrying about the things you cannot control is important too.

What are some of the things you do or have done to counter jetlag or other surprise situations?

Tell us your story of an unexpected relay start time, arriving late to a match or equipment not arriving on-time.

Coaches: run drills with your team. Bring them in on a practice match day and give them 5 minutes to set-up for the match and immediately start prep. Force them to decide how to handle the pressure and stress.

Follow us on Twitter: @cmpsouthrange
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/cmpsouthrange
Google+: CMP South
Join the CMP Forum: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 AM

A comment on the blog from one of our followers. His story shows how important it is to read match programs and double check squadding times.

Mike N.February 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM
I once left for a smallbore match under the assumption that it started at 0900. As such I arrived at 0805, which was just in time to see the first competition shots go downrange, as the match actually started at 0800. I found the range master right away, got my squadding, set up my gear, and labeled my targets as quickly as I could. Fortunately the range master was forgiving, and let me shoot the first stage during the first break period, rather than making me take a zero for the stage. It made for a long morning (four stages in a row), but something clearly clicked because that first stage was my first clean 100 yard target. I read match bulletins much more closely after that.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

At my first big match (the 29 Palms Regional about 20 years ago), I didn't realize I was expected to do more than shoot so I arrived late, being on the fourth relay. Fortunately the other three competitors had adapted and we got it all sorted out. Haven't made that mistake since.

"The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or fears or wishes rather than with their minds."--Will Durant
Old 02-14-2014, 08:56 AM

Thumbs up

About 10 years ago when I first started shooting in the Fort Benning monthly PTOs, I forgot about the time change from Central to Eastern and arrived right as the match started instead of a hour prior. I thought there was an afternoon relay that I could change to, but it was full . I had to haul tail to shoot prone in the remaining time limit. Now I'm extra careful about times, even afraid that a certain timezone will trick me and be a hour ahead even if it's not.

Tags
air rifle, cmp, competitor, resiliency, shooting